Railroad Forums 

• Comet I With Blue Seats

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#114613  by R44 5212 A Train

About 8 years ago, I remember taking the train once, and it was a Lo-Door Comet I...the seats were the same type, only they were sky-blue instead of brown...what unit was this, and what was up with that?
 #114632  by njt4172

R44 5212 A Train wrote:About 8 years ago, I remember taking the train once, and it was a Lo-Door Comet I...the seats were the same type, only they were sky-blue instead of brown...what unit was this, and what was up with that?
Yes, before they were rebuilt in 1987, some of the cars had bluish-green cloth like seats with a black vinyl strip......Then you also had the smoking cars which had brown cloth... I think most of the cab cars were smoking cars.... NJT should rebuild the Comet I's back to the more comfortable cloth material, but instead of making them 2-2 seating make them 3-2.........

Steve

#114636  by njt4172

Correction......you say it was only 8 years ago??? If the seats were blue then it had to be the comet IV's.......I don't recall any low level Comet I's that had blue seats 8 years ago........

Steve.
 #114694  by R44 5212 A Train

It was on the Bergen Line, it had only 2 doors per side, and it had the same livery as Comet Is and IIs do. I'm 90% sure it was a Lo-Door as well. Was there ever a post-rebuild Comet I with the old seats? I've heard some Arrow IIIs and Comet IIs had this.