Railroad Forums 

• Weird NS Horn

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #114254  by R44 5212 A Train

Once, I was up during the middle of the night trying to fall asleep, when I heard a weird horn. It wasn't like a foghorn, but it was really really deep and low, kinda like the lowest note on the piano. It was a 3-chimer, IIRC. Does NJT or NS have anything that sounds like this? I'm guessing it was NS, as it was at like 2:00AM, and it didn't sound like any NJT horn I ever heard. Which locomotive could I have heard, and what kind of hon was it? Remember, it was a really deep 3-chimer. Please tell me soon, as I really want to know this. Thanks for all the info you can give me.

#114261  by SRS125

It could a UP or SP Unit as well some have a low flat note to them as well.

#114367  by ANDY117

Might it have been a Canadian Nathan K3? They sound flat. And, R144, locomotives from every railroad can go ANYWHERE. It might have very well been a UP or SP, since NS doesn't have K3's IIRC.

#114401  by SRS125

well anouther possable thought could be that maybe it was NS unit with a pluged air horn.

#114403  by ANDY117

Yea, maybe a plugged, or Squealing K5. if the right ones were plugged, it'd be a K3!
 #114576  by R44 5212 A Train

That would be cool! Why doesn't anything rare come around during the day? All we get here are GP38-2s and GP40-2s in Conrail paint, maybe an SD40-2 once in a while but that's it!

And if a K5 is anything like a K5LA, that was not it...a K5LA is not deep at all, and this one was really deep...K5LA horns are also loud, and this one was pretty soft(I live a mile away from Broadway station).

#114620  by emd_SD_60

Might have been a S-3L, I think half of the ex-Conrail ones still have them, IIRC. :wink: Although many of them are being replaced by K5LA's. :(
 #114692  by R44 5212 A Train

I once rode behind Black River and Western GP9 #1853 on an excursion train when I went down there, and I asked the guy what kind of horn it had, and he aid an RS3LR. That is based on the S3L. The horn on #1853 sounded nothing like this horn, and it actually sounded rather like the K5LA. No, that wasn't it.