Railroad Forums 

• Former Rutherford D.P.W. Building...

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#112750  by CarterB

Far as I know the DPW 'trolley barn' on Hackesack St. near the Erie underpass was for the Newark to Hackensack trolley line. The HR&P ran East/West on what is now Paterson Plank Rd and crossed the N/S line at Hackensack Ave. Maybe they both used one car barn?

If you take the inset pic on the "Lines of the Paterson, Passaic, & Rutherford Electric R'y and the Jersey City, Hoboken & Rutherford Electric R'y, and the Paterson Central Electric Ry., Charles A. Johnson, president, James A. Morrisse, vice president." map from the American Memory series, and flip it horizontally, it would sure fit the location of the carbarn vis a vis the Erie. I wonder when the Hackensack underpass was built?

#113178  by AndyB

To confirm what CarterB wrote the East Rutherford D.P.W. building was the carhouse for the Newark and Hackensack Traction Company. I think it is possible that the "Rutherford" car house refered to in some literature is the East Rutherford loctaion. Since the East Rutherford location is right at the town line with Rutherford, it is possible "East" was dropped as Rutherford was a more established and "financially advanced" community, thus giving the N&H a prime location for it's carhouse even though it was not quite in Rutherford.
The Jersey City, Hoboken and Rutherford came west along Paterson Plank Road to Park Ave in East Rutherford where it turned south on Park Ave to terminate at the Erie tracks. A strange thing here - "Jersey City, Hoboken and Rutherford" It started in Hoboken, ran through Jersey City and came up about 20 feet short of getting into Rutherford since it did not cross the Erie tracks.
The carhouse for the JCH&R was located in Secaucus. In recent years it was used by a trucking company and was very visible, sitting to the right on a rise, to east bound traffic on Rt.3. Regrettably, it was recently (3-4 years) torn down to build a "Space Station" storage building.

Mike, I think this calls for a little historic railfaning. I got the maps, if you got the time. Andy