Railroad Forums 

• Lantern-NYC RR?-PIC

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1081071  by 3rdrail

It's his light and it isn't the Mona Lisa. There are others like it. If he would enjoy having it wired for house current, so be it. Also, a gentle sponging over the surface with a gentle water/detergent combination followed by a thorough pat-drying is not going to hurt anything. If it were mine, I'd also want to attend to that rust on the canopy by getting rid of it with a commercial solution or sanding it off with fine wet sandpaper- even perhaps painting the affected part to stop the corrosive effect of the rust. It isn't the Holy Grail guys.
 #1084213  by JBlaisdell

If the font (oil can) is rusted out, go ahead and electrify it. Better than getting thrown in the trash like so many others.
 #1084295  by 3rdrail

Almost any part that you would need for any lantern is commercially available. If you need a name, I've got a card somewhere around here.
 #1098821  by Bigt

I could not tell by your photos, but, does your globe have an embossed symbol with the letters "CNX"?
The letter "C" kind of makes a circle around the other two letters? If so, the globe was made by Corning.
The New York Central attempted to "purchase" locally from vendors who had the product they needed at the
time. Dietz was of course on "the line", so, many, many lanterns of various types came from them. The same
for the Dressel Company. You have a nice Vesta model there......pick-up everyone you can, if the price is right.....
Good luck.
 #1098871  by 3rdrail

Here is that lantern parts source that I promised you. I am not affiliated with these folks in any way except only that I have purchased a few items from them in the past. They are a family run business and very dependable in my opinion.
Larry & Doris Krise
269-699-7072
[email protected]