Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1074126  by Tadman

I just realized something interesting. The Bendix station was the endpoint from 1971 to 1992, or 21 years. The airport has been the endpoint 1992-2012, or 20 years. We're quite close to the point the "new" station is now in service longer than the "old" station.

For those keeping score at home, the palace that is the Bendix station is still in use by Amtrak but has a new blue paint with white stripe. The blue is roughly the color of GN big sky blue.
 #1074188  by justalurker66

The airport is working on moving the "new" station (opened November 1992) to the other end of the terminal building. So while the 21 years may be up a year from November, it is possible that a newer airport station will be in place. It is a project to keep an eye on (and as the Airport owns most of the land needed it should not be as difficult as getting permission in Michigan City).

If I recall correctly, the station was still owned by CSS until recently when Amtrak took over. Amtrak wanted to remodel. I have not seen any major improvements.
 #1075568  by Tadman

Given that PC passenger service lasted from NYC/PRR merger in 1968 to A-day in April 1971, and Bendix station opened July 1970, wouldn't there be about three years of PC "great steel fleet" remnants using Bendix?
 #1075927  by dinwitty

bendix was a shack stop on the CSS forever, but the downtown exit created this stop as the terminal end for the CSS. Then downtown union station ended, so Bendix became also Amtrak.