Railroad Forums 

• Cooperstown & Charlotte Valley (CACV) Discussion - 2012

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1057595  by Otto Vondrak

This photo is from my friend Jim Otto, who photographed the Jordan Spreader in action on 6/23.

-otto-
Attachments:
Jordan Spreader on the CACV
Jordan Spreader on the CACV
jordan-spreader.jpg (173.28 KiB) Viewed 1719 times
 #1062392  by O-6-O

A couple of ex Cats are going to get Cooped up in Milford this Friday. A beautiful day for some continuing track work with CMO Chris Lord and whoever else shows.

Come on out and lead a hand won't you? Sweatin with the oldies railroad style.
 #1063739  by O-6-O

CaCV general manager Wendy York posted this on her Facebook page so I don't think she'll mind me putting it up here.

We are reaching out to anyone who would like to help the C&CV railroad. Currently we need ties, joint bars, tie plates, Labor and of course $$$$$. Those wishing to see this railroad get back on the tracks please call (607)432-2429 or mail to: LRHS PO Box 681, Oneonta, NY 13820

Please.... if you can help with some ca$h or an hour or two, kindly spread the word around for 80# OTM. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks
 #1070920  by Bobby S

Was up in the area for a wedding. I did my research and saw a ROW right into downtown. I drove by the area where the station was and saw some nicely restored buildings along wth a old pax railcar. Are these the originals? When was service terminated? Thinking how great it would have been to take a train there. Did this line tie into anything Amtrak uses today? Or would this be an entirely dif ROW? Thanks for any help/answers!
 #1071027  by Noel Weaver

At one time Cooperstown had not only the Delaware and Hudson but also the Southern New York Electric Interurban. The interurban crossed the D & H at the south end of town not far from the Chestnut Street Crossing and went in to the center of town. In real early years the electric line turned south on Main Street but in later years it turned North and deadended in front of a station that was converted to a residence but is still standing. The Delaware and Hudson station building that is presently the headquarters of Delaware Otsego was the D & H freight station. The Delaware and Hudson built a beautiful small passenger station north of the Maine Street Crossing and that also is still standing and today I believe it is a residence. In its period of use by the D & H it was a place of elegance with fancy furnishings and classy surroundings. I have a couple of pictures of its interior in bygone days. I think I have the date here somewhere when it was closed by the D & H. The D & H sold the Cooperstown Branch to Delaware Otsego in 1971 I believe it was. I have that date here somewhere too. Even in the 50's the railroad still had a fair amount of local freight business in Cooperstown and trains ran reliably on Monday, Wednesday and Friday every week. They handled coal, feed, grain, lumber and building materials and other stuff as well. They had a nice electric turntable to turn the steam engines, a water tank and standpipe and several tracks in the yard there at the time. In the 50's the tracks still ran up to the old passenger station even though the building was no longer owned by the railroad, I think they used to run around the train up there. The local in those days carried a combo because they carried Railway Express as well and even had an express messenger at that time. I used to go to Cooperstown with my parents in the 40's and early 50's to visit family there and always loved my trips to Cooperstown. I rode the line once under the Delaware and Hudson on a fantrip out of Albany and several times under Delaware Otsego and have good memories of these days as well.
Noel Weaver
 #1072273  by Bobby S

Noel Weaver wrote:At one time Cooperstown had not only the Delaware and Hudson but also the Southern New York Electric Interurban. The interurban crossed the D & H at the south end of town not far from the Chestnut Street Crossing and went in to the center of town. In real early years the electric line turned south on Main Street but in later years it turned North and deadended in front of a station that was converted to a residence but is still standing. The Delaware and Hudson station building that is presently the headquarters of Delaware Otsego was the D & H freight station. The Delaware and Hudson built a beautiful small passenger station north of the Maine Street Crossing and that also is still standing and today I believe it is a residence. In its period of use by the D & H it was a place of elegance with fancy furnishings and classy surroundings. I have a couple of pictures of its interior in bygone days. I think I have the date here somewhere when it was closed by the D & H. The D & H sold the Cooperstown Branch to Delaware Otsego in 1971 I believe it was. I have that date here somewhere too. Even in the 50's the railroad still had a fair amount of local freight business in Cooperstown and trains ran reliably on Monday, Wednesday and Friday every week. They handled coal, feed, grain, lumber and building materials and other stuff as well. They had a nice electric turntable to turn the steam engines, a water tank and standpipe and several tracks in the yard there at the time. In the 50's the tracks still ran up to the old passenger station even though the building was no longer owned by the railroad, I think they used to run around the train up there. The local in those days carried a combo because they carried Railway Express as well and even had an express messenger at that time. I used to go to Cooperstown with my parents in the 40's and early 50's to visit family there and always loved my trips to Cooperstown. I rode the line once under the Delaware and Hudson on a fantrip out of Albany and several times under Delaware Otsego and have good memories of these days as well.
Noel Weaver
Thank you Mr. Weaver for your information. Apparently there is a company up there that runs tours from Milford NY to Cooperstown but as of this year they are not running due to trackage issues. Where would they have stopped in Cooperstown because the line from Route 28 into town looks to have been severed a long time ago. It DEF would have been a great option to take the train!
 #1072287  by MikeVT

They stopped just south of town along Rt 28. You can see a commuter parking lot with a old mail car on a siding. Whats were they have a siding.
 #1073698  by NYSW3614

Cooperstown branch in place to 80/28 crossing- AKA Glen Avenue. DO/NYSW removed the piece through the crossing to the maroon equipment and sold the property to the former Agway. There is some interest in getting trains across the road again but time and money....

The Cooperstown & Charlotte Valley runs all the way to Glen Avenue once or twice a year, rest of the year goes just north of Linden Avenue to connect with "trolley" transit service. Yes, the line has been Out Of Service since July 13, not the the whole year, and will be back in service by end of August/early September.

The SD45
 #1074054  by switcher3051

Crews went out both days this weekend and will finish this week. Thursday 8/23/12 at 1900 is a Brooks BBQ train scheduled to Dreams Park. Saturday 8/25/12 is the target date to start running weekend trains up to the Dreams Park. A train robbery at 1300 then at 1900 a Blues Music train will depart Milford.

Running all the way to Rts 28 / 80 is usually just special trains like the Christmas Lights train. On occasion we have taken a guest engineer to Rt 80, Walnut St or cross Rt 28 and stop for photo ops. Linden Ave is our normal stop and run around to pull back to Milford.

With the new Welcome Center construction at Linden Ave, the crossing will be redone, our labor with materials being supplied ( I believe ). Haven't been up there to look at the progress as I've been on the track crew most weekends. Will be a big improvement from the stone parking lot.
 #1074055  by switcher3051

Crews went out both days this weekend and will finish this week. Thursday 8/23/12 at 1900 is a Brooks BBQ train scheduled to Dreams Park. Saturday 8/25/12 is the target date to start running weekend trains up to the Dreams Park. A train robbery at 1300 then at 1900 a Blues Music train will depart Milford.