Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1016933  by Amtrakker

I'm planning a trip to NYC this summer, and I plan to get some stock/B-roll footage for a story (unofficially) set in the 70s (really it's timeless, but I'm going for the gritty NYC 70s feel). Is there any particular station, or any part of Grand Central Terminal that retains that feel, or has everything underground been Disneyfied too?

Thanks in advance. :)
 #1017536  by rlbarr

You could also take the #6 downtown to Brooklyn Bridge station, ignore the instructions to exit the train and ride around the loop which goes through the abandoned City Hall station - quite beautiful tile work and lighting fixtures - an indication of what we've lost through "updating."
 #1018280  by hi55us

R36 Combine Coach wrote:The Transit Musuem has some older cars open to visitors during regular hours, which could fit the 1970s theme, including a R15 R16, R17, R30 and World's Fair R33 (used on the #7 line).
The R(44?) cars used on the C line are very 70's-esque if you ask me
 #1040093  by CP-4070

rlbarr wrote:You could also take the #6 downtown to Brooklyn Bridge station, ignore the instructions to exit the train and ride around the loop which goes through the abandoned City Hall station - quite beautiful tile work and lighting fixtures - an indication of what we've lost through "updating."
Is that possible? Would be afraid that the train gets stopped to wait a couple of hours. Is that possible in old South Ferry loop? Would love to do that again.
 #1040104  by Patrick Boylan

In 2002 I was at Brooklyn Bridge station southbound, planning to be nice and polite hoping the train crew MIGHT let me stay on and ride around the city hall loop, when many dozens of people got on and rode around, so it seems even though it might have once been a railfan's dream it's in subsequent years become standard practice.

I haven't ridden to South Ferry for about 25 years and don't even remember what the ride around possibilities were then, let alone what they might be now.
 #1040201  by RWERN

CP-4070 wrote:Which lines do still return in south ferry loop?
I believe the 5 service uses the loop to turn when not proceeding to Brooklyn. The 1 service no longer uses the loop as it terminates in the new stub-end station.
 #1040585  by Kamen Rider

CP-4070 wrote:Is that possible? Would be afraid that the train gets stopped to wait a couple of hours. Is that possible in old South Ferry loop? Would love to do that again.
the loop line at City Hall is classed as mainline trackage. when the 6 pulls into brooklyn bridge, the computer annocues it as "This the last DOWNTOWN stop on this train. The next stop will be Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall, on the uptown platform."