Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1560198  by newkirk

Questions:

1) What was the stations of those B&W MP-54 images ?

2) What year was the Bay Ridge branch wreck ?
 #1560213  by RGlueck

MP54's were W. Hempstead, probably 1970. The New Haven wreck was in the 60's, but I don't quite recall when - I'll guess 1963.
 #1560255  by newkirk

RGlueck wrote: The New Haven wreck was in the 60's, but I don't quite recall when - I'll guess 1963.
That year would probably be right. You have to figure when the Bay Ridge branch was de-electrified. Most likely the late 60's when Penn Central was ushered in.

Wasn't that switch be locked or did the vandals cut the lock and throwing the switch ?
 #1560296  by RGlueck

The switchlock was broken by the kids involved. They were caught and sent before a judge, but I don't believe the punishment fit the crime.
 #1560359  by newkirk

Long disused elevated structure that freights accessed Atlantic Terminal.
All photos except Steve Zabel : Bill Mangahas (September 1980).

Overpass at Carlton Ave.

At the back of "VD" yard, a lone MP-54 baggage motor sat there for many years. MP-72's in MTA paint
should give a clue that the photo was taken probably in the early 1970's . (Photo: Steve Zabel collection)

Some time after I took this photo in September of 1980, the car was either cut up or removed from the property.
I was told that until the last days, the cars heat and lights were still functional. If anyone out there could shed some information on this baggage motor, let us know.
Photo: Bill Mangahas (September 1980)

#1560659  by newkirk

Some selected images from the Electric Railroaders Association tour of Morris Park shops .
All photos : Bill Mangahas (September 20, 1980)

"Power pack" #620 looking fresh from the paint shop.

Some MP-15's about three years of age all lined up.

Inside the shops, diesel hauled coaches undergoing overhaul.

Interior view of a World's Fair "Zip" car undergoing an overhaul.

#2810 in the final stage of overhaul and ready for "the road".
As far as the MTA paint scheme goes, I always preferred the blue strip going through and not below the windows.

An M-1 gets the finishing touch with a repainted blue strip.

I believe this was a parlor car that had its fluting removed and replaced with plate steel. Can anyone confirm what car this was ?

GP 38-2 in the paint shop getting it's red strip painted.

This is where the spare fiberglass M-1 end bonnets were stored.

GT/E gas turbine unit for your approval. The green destination side sign reads "Croton Harmon."

M-1 #9264 sporting sideswipe damage. Was this car repaired or scrapped ?

Another damaged M-1 became a parts donor.

What's the story with #W-74, is it still there or scrapped long ago ?

A pair of M-1's undergoing repair.
 #1560661  by Pensyfan19

Outstanding photos, Newkirk! I´ve always been interested in what locomotives/rolling stock looked like while being rebuilt or repainted. Thanks for providing this very rare footage of the behind the scenes maintenance of the LIRR.
 #1560725  by newkirk

Pensyfan19 wrote: I believe 9264 was eventually repaired and placed back in service as of 1988. Not sure if it still runs today though.
The M-1's were retired and scrapped some time ago.
 #1560729  by RGlueck

This image is currently on eBay. LIRR 202 in Alberta, Canada. Not damaged headlight. What are those bars added along the body cabinet?
 #1560738  by dieciduej

RGlueck wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:53 pm What are those bars added along the body cabinet?
They look like 2x4s, most likely during shipping to prevent the cabinet doors from coming open.
 #1560744  by RGlueck

I thought possibly DeGaussing strips to prevent magnetic mines!

No, seriously, is 202 one of the lucky survivors?