• Possible CSX detour trains over Susie-Q again?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by charlie6017

I read on another board on rr.net that there may be more work forthcoming on the River Line and that there may be some detour trains like last year, such as Q271. Can anyone confirm this and if so, when this may happen? Thanks in advance, Charlie

by nysw3636

Nothing etched in stone as of yet, but last years work on River Sub was late July to early August. I would guess eastbound Q-156 and westbound Q-271 would be the trains of choice.

ASD

by Roscoe P. Coaltrain

Film is already loaded in the trusty camera..... :wink:

by trainfreak

Im ready for these detours. I was able to catch a lot of them last year on the Southern Division and cant wait to catch them again this year.

by rcbsd45

Also, with the NYSW's power crunch and exploding freight business, look for them to simply add the outbound freight on the westbound detour train(Probably the Q271 again), thus saving the run of an SU 99. as the eastbound detour(probably Q156 again as well) has to be handed off to CSX upon arrival, the railroad will likely still run the 100's but as noted run the 99 traffic on the wetbound detour move... Stay tuned, should be an interesting summer....

by trainfreak

What do you guys think the NYSW will do for their power problems? Lease more units or buy new or used ones?

by njt4172

Trainfreak & All,

Aren't there a couple silver and lime green FURX units to go around?? I wouldn't mind seeing those on the Q!

Can't wait until I start my journey up to Newfoundland this July!!!!!

Steve P.

by NYSW3614

Its been said NYSW is needing about 6-10 units. Look for some leasers and/or more SD40s.

by nysw3636

And yet SD45's 3614, 3618, and 3634 remain retired and stored in Utica :(

ASD

by nysw3636

Rumor has it that detours of Q-271 and Q-156 will start after July 6th. Most likely CSX River Sub will shut down after northbounds Q-169 and Q-111 pass work areas mid-morning.

ASD
  by RailBus63

What is the speed limit on the NYSW from Binghamton to Syracuse?

JD

by NYSW3614

25 mostly, if not all of the way.

Joshua

by trainfreak

When these detours start. Will anyone be willing to post the movements of the eastbound train? I remember last year it usually would get to the Southern Division pretty late into the night but on a few occasions it came down during daylight.

by GSP163

As a person who works for a lumber yard right along the NYSW Main in Midland Park, NJ I remember the detour trains last year & at least one would come though this area (either heading east or west) between the hours of 10am & 2pm.....However some came though as early as 7am & as late as 4pm.....Not sure what goes though later in the day......When the detours start there I will usually see one detour and one local Q between 7am & 5pm (and depending on the day the local will drop off some lumber cars in our yard).....However on a few occasions I would see 2 detour trains & no local.....Sometimes the NYSW line can get boring but at least the detours make it a little more exciting.

by trainfreak

Well at least the road trains are getting bigger and hopefully when the power problem ends (will it ever?) there will be more road trains on the line. As for last years detours i would usually catch the 271 from mid day to late aftertoon and when i was able to catch the 156 that was between 8 and 10 at night. Wasnt it nice seeing stacks roll over the Q again?