Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#350313  by CCfromNJ

Has there ever been any study, serious or otherwise, to extend the PATH from Newark Penn Station out to the Newark Liberty Airport Rail Station? Mayor Bloomberg, among others, have mentioned it over the years.

Any suggestions on an intermediate stop? Wasn't there a South Street/Mulberry Street Penn RR Station once upon a time?

#350334  by blasito

Search this forum and you'll find some discussion from 2005 and before.

The PA has been looking into it, but it is probably politically connected to a "one seat ride" to JFK. They'll either build both or neither.

#400860  by drewh

Wasn't there a South Street/Mulberry Street Penn RR Station once-upon-a-time?
There was a South Newark station at South Street. You can still see the remains of the platform and stairs heading to the street. Nice yellowish bricks. Not sure when it discontinued use. PATH tracks end just before South Street; on the other side of South is where you can see what was the platform.

Location on Yahoo Maps
 #401163  by henry6

That kind of talk goes back to the Aldene Plan and before! Actual studies were done, too.

#403602  by Don31

It was studied as recently as 2005.

#409603  by AndyB

Given the amount of money spent on the building then rebuilding of the monorail system, PATH could (should) have been there already.

#411366  by drewh

Yes and it will have to be rebuilt too at sometime as it can not handle the traffic and the projected loads are only going up.

I've said it before, they should have built a system like the JFK Airtrain and had it go to Newark Penn. They didn't need to build a special airport rail station that most trains skip anyway.

#474203  by CHIP72

The smart move would have been to extend the PATH WTC-Newark Penn Station line to Newark Int'l Airport, but considering the Port Authority NY-NJ owns both the PATH line and the AirTrain Newark line and (I'm guessing) the equipment for those lines is incompatible, it's highly unlikely the PATH line will be extended IMO.

#474318  by Tom V

it's highly unlikely the PATH line will be extended IMO.
The PATH extension to Newark Airport's rail link station is in the Port Authority's recently updated capital projects.
 #546657  by OportRailfan

I'm a new intern in the CMD department and at orientation, they mentioned that they are still in the process of doing a study at the feasability(and profitability)...of extending the PATH to Newark Airport
 #546999  by Jeff Smith

How about a PA connection to LGA first? Newark already has a transit link. As for Bloomberg, he has lots of ideas, but difficulty getting them passed (see: congestion pricing). I like Guiliani's idea: take the airports back.
 #556646  by OportRailfan

Idk...look at the Airtran...they pack people in those little cars on the monorail...I think the new PA-5's wouldn't have a problem carrying that volume past Newark Penn...you'd only have people traveling to the airport left in the cars
 #566722  by ryanov

PATH is mostly standing room. Plenty of room to stand near your luggage. The problems are more on NJT, where the only place for your luggage on the floor is the aisle in a lot of places (which is not allowed for obvious reasons).