Railroad Forums 

• Poor "Pennsylvania"

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#60164  by Jersey_Mike

Last Friday I was heading home to New Jersey via Center City and I was catching a train from 30th St to Market East about 4:40 PM. My train arrived ok, but when we left there was a absolute logjam at the Schukyll section of BROAD interlocking. We finally got a lineup and when heading down the chineese wall there was poor #269, stuck dead alone on 3 track tying up the entire system during the rush hour. It looked like they were trying to get it moving eastbound into Suburban possibly under the force of gravity.

#60225  by Urban D Kaye

Jersey Mike -

Sorry 'bout the logjam... those Silverliner II's are gettin real old.

If you listen to Septa's scanner freqs you'll often hear about problems, both small and large, with the older m.u.'s. But with Kawasaki's protest necessitating the restart of the Silverliner V bidding process, those old Budds may have to soldier on a bit longer.

-Urban

#60439  by Jersey_Mike

I have no complaints with the Silverliner II's, I am just bemoaning the fact that Pennsylvania got stuck out in the cold.

#60484  by Urban D Kaye

OK Mike, sorry if I misunderstood.

-Urban

Viva la #269!

#60495  by jfrey40535

How is it that good ol' #269 retained the PRR name on it but the rest did not? I remember years ago seeing ones that still said "Reading Company" on the sides, and when the RDC's were still around, some kept the RDG name as well, some did not. But knowing how SEPTA loves to plaster their name on everything, I'm amazed this one was left intact.

#60500  by Jbad

I have a problem with the Silverliner IIs. They are ugly, uncomfortable, dirty, and the combination of PCB fumes and flashy fluorescent lights gives me a headache. I groan every time one pulls up.

#60549  by greg19051

I think that #269 was labeled on its sideboards when it was reconditioned in 1990 in Hornell. The paint looks relatively new. By the way, I groan whenever any Septa train comes by.

#60556  by SEPTALRV9072

Oh come on. The SL IIs are still pretty durned fast for their age. They are frequent runners on the R3 where they open up pretty good on both sides.

#60577  by jfrey40535

I have to admit, I groan too when a SLII/III pulls up. I like them, but the seats are horrbile compared to the SLIV's (although their seats aren't holding up so great either). I know one of them was refitted with new seats, which makes the ride a little better. Other than the seat thing, I don't see why the SLII/III's can't solider on for another decade...

#60578  by F23A4

Jbad wrote:I have a problem with the Silverliner IIs. They are ugly, uncomfortable, dirty, and the combination of PCB fumes and flashy fluorescent lights gives me a headache. I groan every time one pulls up.
Image That's pretty much how I feel when I have to board one of NJT's Comet 1Bs.

#60579  by walt

Jbad wrote:I have a problem with the Silverliner IIs. They are ugly, uncomfortable, dirty, and the combination of PCB fumes and flashy fluorescent lights gives me a headache. I groan every time one pulls up.
Then you never rode the predecessors to the Silverliner series-- the old PRR MP-54's---- In comparison, riding the Silverliners, --- any of them---- was like night and day!

#60618  by Nasadowsk

Only trouble with smelling PCB fumes is the transformers were cleaned and refilled in the 80's when MK rebuilt the cars :)

You're smelling the traction motors arcing away, probbably. Even the SL IVs make that smell. I don't notice it, my friend picked it up right away the first time we were on Septa, the first time the train started moving....

#60651  by PARailWiz

I love riding the Silverliner IIs. SEPTA's logo and name aren't all over them, and it's kind of neat riding them and thinking about how they ran on the PRR and Reading Railroads, which of course I never knew, except in Monopoly.

I remembera train into Phily of 6 SLIIs, and the last 2 cars were dead, so the first four were towing them. I was in the last car. It was a really eerie ride, because there was no A/C or motor hum, and instead of the familiar whine when the train first accelerates, there was just a quiet rumble of the wheels. It's funny how you grow accustomed to those old cars and their idiosyncrasies, and really notice it when something isn't right.

#60749  by jfrey40535

Nostalsia is great, but commuters don't really appreciate it. When I'm headed to work at 7am and have a 1 hour train ride from CC to WIL, I don't really care about where the cars used to run, I just want an extra hour of sleep, and when I'm on a SLII, I know I'm not getting it.

#60779  by glennk419

I actually like the red/blue striping on the SL's but somehow it just doesn't look right on 269. If MNCR can paint a few diesels in New Haven colors, why can't we have a few "heritage" units around as well.