Railroad Forums 

• Please be Careful

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#41200  by SnoozerZ49

Hi Folks:

I work in train service on the Commuter Rail System. I would like to pass on a cautionary note. Lately we have noticed a lot of folks taking pictures from the very edge of the platforms on the yellow line or even worse some people are standing "in the gauge" that is between the rails. Engineers are focusing a great distance down the tracks and even though you think you have plenty of time to get out of the way, the engineer is already trying to anticipate your intentions. In particular there has been a young Asian-American man around Ayer and a young woman around Beverly who positioning themselves in harms way on a regualr basis.

Actions like these make most railroaders disdainful of all railfans as it adds stress and anxiety to the job. We can't see the camera from a great distance but we can see the the person. We also can't judge the intentions of the person. Are they preparing to step in front of us?

'Nough said, be safe!

#41272  by Robert Paniagua

Yes, that's right kids, and remember,

DON'T EVEN think of crossing any trackage either (especially the MNRR tracks at the New Haven (4 tracks) and Hudson line south of Croton-Harmon where it doubles from two to four.

No guys, I wouldn't want you to play "tough guy" and cross four tracks with two trains coming in each direction.

And besides, an officer (MTA Police) or any other agency can lock you up or cite you for crossing such trackage and tresspassing charges, so BEWARE...............

#41572  by NellsChoo

HA! Another reason I got a camera with a better zoom! :P

Just kidding. I wouldn't want to stand too close to a through freight at Ayer. Have you seen those things sway?? Besides, I would think the thing would blow you over if you stood so close. Maybe not. I don't know, and don't want to risk it.

I have seen people run in front of oncoming MBTA trains at Ayer at night. They probably think "I am faster than him, and he's stopping anyway". Well, I sure wouldn't want to be the engineer having to wonder if suddenly one of those people are going to stop and end it all.

There have been times I have been standing, waiting for a Guilford switcher to move at a safe section of rail, and taken head-on photos. I know, I know... a NO-NO! I do so quickly and from a safe distance. I make sure either no one is in the engine so it won't move, or that they see me watching for other trains and being carefull. They don't seem to mind when I do it, maybe because I always scoot right out of the way instead of hanging around like a dope.

Maybe I shouldn't even do that, but trust me when I say I know trains don't always warn you they are around. I remember a kid was killed by a T train here in Belmont when I was in school. And there were probably others I don't know about in the past. Many kids in Belmont would cross the T tracks to get to Belmont High School. Every time the chain link fence by the school field was mended, someone would cut it again. The shortcut shaved a lot of time off the walk to class. When I first started walking that way (against Mom's wishes), I would walk up along the tracks. Then one day, I happened to peek behind me to see a commuter train right behind me. Never heard it. I got out of the way and from that point on, walked BESIDE the tracks, well away from danger, then crossed over to the hole in the fence ONLY after making absolutely sure the coast was clear. (Oh, and in Belmont they have a "whistle ban". Don't get me going on THAT!)

Point is, hitting a person must be horrible for a train crew. They don't want to do it. And a railfan shouldn't futz around. Unless you want to end it all, use your noodle and STAY SAFE!! :wink: