Railroad Forums 

• Piantadosi in Malden

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1011775  by BostonUrbEx

I forgot to post this but yesterday (err, 2 days ago, by this time at night...) I believe I saw the rails being ripped out at Piantadosi and across the street as well. The crossing was already gone for a couple years.

RIP.

Was there any particular reason Piantadosi dropped rail, other than cost? Spats with Pan Am, etc?
 #1012177  by tom18287

i think that still classifies as the saugus branch, thats where it originally connected to the B&M. probably got ripped out as part of the trail deal. maybe they will take out the medford st bridge, trucks get stuck under it weekly.
 #1012275  by GP40MC1118

Yes, the Medford Branch comes off the Western Route mainline at MP3.1. The spur for Piantadosi comes off the
Medford Branch (which is now the Medford Industrial Track).

The Saugus Branch starts at Everett Jct off the Eastern Route mainline. I am unaware of whatever
"original" alignment for the Saugus Branch you refer to.

D
 #1012284  by tom18287

http://binged.it/wGreH0

that shows the spur coming off the western route across commercial st and into piantedosi. follow the tracks behind the building and you can follow the old ROW across the river where it connects with the existing saugus branch ROW.
 #1012455  by zski128

tom18287 wrote:http://binged.it/wGreH0

that shows the spur coming off the western route across commercial st and into piantedosi. follow the tracks behind the building and you can follow the old ROW across the river where it connects with the existing saugus branch ROW.
I dont think that this spur ever connected to the Saugus line. Looking at some old Sanborn Maps from 1906 and into the 50s show that the branch just went past Piantedosi and then along the canal to a few more industries, turn almost back toward Commercial street. Do you know what year that is connected?
 #1012541  by BostonUrbEx

To clear things up, yes, the Saugus Branch did indeed connect to the Western Route here, before the Grand Junction became the primary routing for the Eastern Route. It was degraded to a bunch of sidings following the change in trackage.