Railroad Forums 

• Photos from Trolley Museum of NY (Kingston)

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#429794  by Frank

These were taken on Saturday. I had a good time despite the hot weather.

Whitcomb locomotive 9

R16 6398

R4 825

Queensbridge car 601 in very sad shape

Lo-V 5600

Looking toward the east gate of the museum

The end of the Ferry St section of the line

Enjoy! :-)

#429865  by uhaul

Sweet they have a red bird.

#429935  by Otto Vondrak

Almost 25 years in Kingston, and no wire, and no operable trolley cars. However, they have a nice "interpretive center" and they have been doing a lot of work on neglected track lately. I heard they put out an RFP for electrification... better late than never, I guess!

-otto-

#430297  by Mr rt

Kingston:
1. They operate a trolley from Johnstown PA, but not via O/H elect. pwr
2. The Red Bird is a R-16, that is functional
3. Saw in another thread that they recently had to dispose of some of their junk (town was tristing their arm)
4. Their Atlantic City trolley (250) is going to a better home
5. They have been extending their ROW, but I don't know why

#430333  by pennsy

Hi,

Really nice photos. Seems that most Trolley museums have more than just trolleys. Those Subway cars brought back some interesting memories. Thanks for the memories.

#431609  by Frank

pennsy wrote:Hi,

Really nice photos. Seems that most Trolley museums have more than just trolleys. Those Subway cars brought back some interesting memories. Thanks for the memories.
Thanks.
 #440770  by Roosevelt Island 360

Frank - I run a blog about Roosevelt Island in NYC and will be posting your picture of Car 601 on my blog with credit to you. Just wanted you to be aware. This was the last car to operate in NYC and serviced what was then Welfare Island- Eric
 #440940  by Frank

Roosevelt Island 360 wrote:Frank - I run a blog about Roosevelt Island in NYC and will be posting your picture of Car 601 on my blog with credit to you. Just wanted you to be aware. This was the last car to operate in NYC and serviced what was then Welfare Island- Eric
Thanks. Apparently the TMNY is trying to find a new home for 601, because the City of Kingston did an assessment of the museum and told the museum to clean up its act.
 #441235  by Roosevelt Island 360

Based on your photo I am not sure really what options are avilable to her other than scrap which is a shame.

Did you get any idea of the timetable Kingston is imposing on the Museum to clean up the site of cars in this kind of shape?

#441261  by RussNelson

601 could be brought back to life. I mean, people built them in the first place, right? So people can rebuild them.

#441457  by Otto Vondrak

It's been 25 years... they've done little more than operate a gasoline motorcar over their trackage and build a nice interpretive center... they've had 25 years to seek grant money, secure other methods of funding, attract new volunteers, encourage partnerships with the city... even if they restore more cars, where are they going to run them? NO WIRE. I don't know how many operable trolley cars they have even if wire was strung up tomorrow. The worst of those cars need to be scrapped- they are beyond the resources of the museum. The heavy subway cars might better serve other museums, but that's yet to be seen what condition they are in. This is just my opinion, but after so many years, it's time to either go or get off the pot.

-otto-