• Phillipsburg Rail Service—Four Years, $90 Million

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Taborite

northjerseybuff wrote:I think the number in the article is wrong..1.4 billion??
I should hope so, or else NJT's contribution to said study would be enough pay for the Portal Bridge project...
  by Ken W2KB

Taborite wrote:
northjerseybuff wrote:I think the number in the article is wrong..1.4 billion??
I should hope so, or else NJT's contribution to said study would be enough pay for the Portal Bridge project...
Or massive inflation has resulted in 1.4B being equivalent to 140,000. :(

But in general, if a proper study is not done, there is little chance that the extension will ever be funded.
  by northjerseybuff

Ken, why do you think that way? do you have any inside knowledge? rt78 can't be widened..well it can, but it would be astronomical in price compared to rail service expansion on the RVL
  by JLo

It appears to me that all Ken said was that without a proper study, no expansion. He didn't say expansion is out of the realm of possibility. However, since NJT hasn't even gotten back to P-burg yet, it's not far-fetched to think that PA is out of the question in the next 10 years.
  by Ken W2KB

JLo wrote:It appears to me that all Ken said was that without a proper study, no expansion. He didn't say expansion is out of the realm of possibility. However, since NJT hasn't even gotten back to P-burg yet, it's not far-fetched to think that PA is out of the question in the next 10 years.
Thank you, yes. There is a protocol to be followed, where a study is needed to get to the next step, or at least to commence lobbying in earnest the appropriate entities or persons.
  by philipmartin

Annandale is my favorite place to park because it is free. Naturally I get there early. Jersey Central trains used to run fairly empty through P'burg. Ditto for NJ Transit trains.
  by njt4154

Apparently the preliminary findings of the study to Allentown are done and a meeting with the Raritan Valley Rail Coalition will take place next week in Somerville
  by Port Jervis

philipmartin wrote:Annandale is my favorite place to park because it is free. Naturally I get there early. Jersey Central trains used to run fairly empty through P'burg. Ditto for NJ Transit trains.
I think that will change today. Traffic out there is just a total bitch. Annandale's parking is limited.

I still say that service should be extended right now out as far as the point where I-78 and Route 173 converge and the former cuts across the old ROW, near Bloomsbury, with a station in Hampton. That's an ideal spot for a Wassaic-style park & ride complex. Worry about the extension to P'burg/Allentown later. Baby steps.
  by NYS&W142Fan

="Port Jervis
I still say that service should be extended right now out as far as the point where I-78 and Route 173 converge and the former cuts across the old ROW, near Bloomsbury, with a station in Hampton. That's an ideal spot for a Wassaic-style park & ride complex. Worry about the extension to P'burg/Allentown later. Baby steps.
Port Jervis is spot on. That way you would be able to tap into a large market and then set your sights on further West. The track is all there, just needs the ties replaced and the RofW is mostly clear. All that is needed is for NJT to do it. The longer they wait, the more it's going to cost.
  by sean3f

Annandale is my favorite place to park
Here is a comet II set passing Annandale, note the suburban track car in the fore ground.

NJ Transit GP40 4205 w/ Comet 's Annandale Station --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa1BVm_HDgw
  by Port Jervis

sean3f wrote:
Here is a comet II set passing Annandale, note the suburban track car in the fore ground.

NJ Transit GP40 4205 w/ Comet 's Annandale Station --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa1BVm_HDgw
I didn't know trains used that "inner" track at Annandale. If the "Clinton" siding is usable, what purpose did the construction of the siding at White House serve?
  by Don31

Ken W2KB wrote:
Thank you, yes. There is a protocol to be followed, where a study is needed to get to the next step, or at least to commence lobbying in earnest the appropriate entities or persons.
Exactly right Ken. Most, if not all, government agencies would never release funding until a project is demonstrated to be at least feasible. Depending upon the scope, funding source(s) and exact nature of a project, you'd have an MIS (Major Investment Study), feasibility study (including some sort of C/B analysis), conceptual engineering, preliminary engineering, an EIS and of course, the final design process. Each of these have their own timetable and requirements. Not to mention that, once final design is nearly complete, there would be a ton of permits needed (wetlands, 404, 4(f), 6(f), Section 106, flood hazard area/stream encroachment, etc., etc.) before any construction could start....
  by Ken W2KB

Port Jervis wrote:
sean3f wrote:

I didn't know trains used that "inner" track at Annandale. If the "Clinton" siding is usable, what purpose did the construction of the siding at White House serve?
Trains I have been on during my daily commute from High Bridge over the last 10+ years on a handful of occasions used the siding (inner track) from High Bridge to Annandale. Each time it was because of a broken down train on the main track or a track defect.

Clinton is several miles east of Annandale and is used daily for deadhead trains to meet. It is much more efficient in terms of less waiting time for deadheads in its central location.
  by Port Jervis

Ken W2KB wrote:Trains I have been on during my daily commute from High Bridge over the last 10+ years on a handful of occasions used the siding (inner track) from High Bridge to Annandale. Each time it was because of a broken down train on the main track or a track defect.

Clinton is several miles east of Annandale and is used daily for deadhead trains to meet. It is much more efficient in terms of less waiting time for deadheads in its central location.
Maybe it would have made more sense to upgrade this siding instead of building the new one in WH. There's also one in High Bridge, which could be useful if/when service is extended west.