Railroad Forums 

• Philadelphia 25th St Bridge

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#276644  by rrbluesman

I read in the trains article about the CSX bike crossing issue and it mentioned the 25th St Bridge as being in despicable conditions. Is that a bridge that was a Pennsy bridge that CSX got control from ConRail? I dont understand why now it is in such despicable conditions, according to the city, I can remember hunks of cement falling off the bridge when I was a little kid in the 80s. If ConRail didnt maintin it, why is CSX taking the brunt of the conditon of it? In the ame context, why hasnt it been maintined? That bridge is in an awful state, anyone know?
 #279150  by Noel Weaver

rrbluesman wrote:I read in the trains article about the CSX bike crossing issue and it mentioned the 25th St Bridge as being in despicable conditions. Is that a bridge that was a Pennsy bridge that CSX got control from ConRail? I dont understand why now it is in such despicable conditions, according to the city, I can remember hunks of cement falling off the bridge when I was a little kid in the 80s. If ConRail didnt maintin it, why is CSX taking the brunt of the conditon of it? In the ame context, why hasnt it been maintined? That bridge is in an awful state, anyone know?
From what I have read, this appears to me to be former Baltimore and
Ohio/CSX territory and not CONRAIL.
Regardless of what railroad used to own it, the ball is in CSX's court today.
Noel Weaver

#279427  by crazy_nip

conrail defer maintenance on something?

say it aint so...

that railroad was incapable of doing anything wrong

#279487  by RichM

Unfortunately, Nip, Mr. Weaver is right, this is former B&O right of way.

#279735  by Noel Weaver

crazy_nip wrote:conrail defer maintenance on something?

say it aint so...

that railroad was incapable of doing anything wrong
The leadership of Conrail (David LeVan at the time) made a huge mistake
when it decided to merge with CSX in the first place.
Conrail maintained a good railroad, was profitable and ran trains both
passenger and freight on time for the most part.
Since the split and takeover, it has been downhill, downhill and more
downhill. They haven't reached rock bottom yet but at the rate they are
going, it won't be too long before they do.
Noel Weaver
Last edited by Noel Weaver on Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#280355  by rrbluesman

If that was B&O historically, why does it have the relics of cantanary wires on it? I cant picture any elelctric motive power on the B&O.

#280363  by RichM

OK, I'm sorry, right church, wrong pew... the crossing to the strip park is over the former B&O tracks.

The bridge in the vicinity of the South Street exit is former Pennsylvania.

#451972  by RDG467

The Bridge over the Schuylkill at ARSENAL leads to the 25th St. viaduct. This was the PRR's route to Greenwich yard in S. Phila.

As long as the deterioration is only 'cosmetic', CSX probably won't spend much money to fix the concrete viaduct. CR probably took the same tack.

Another concrete bridge that needs some attention is the Columbia Bridge in Fairmount Park, just north of Montgomery Ave (ex-Reading). The bridge has trees growing on it, and I think they are the cause of some major-league spalling of the concrete on the north side of the arch over W. River Drive. There are some massive ice formations there in the winter as the water leaks through and freezes.

#452078  by JimBoylan

RDG467 wrote:The Bridge over the Schuylkill at ARSENAL leads to the 25th St. viaduct. This was the PRR's route to Greenwich yard in S. Phila.
I think this is still all ConRail Shared Assets, and NS owns part of CR with CSXT. Any blame can be spread around, if the blamers take the trouble to be precise.