Railroad Forums 

• Pennsylvania Car

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#333606  by gawlikfj

On Sat.Dec.9th at 9am a Amtrak train going North thru Wallingford CT had a Pennsylvania passenger car in the consist.
Could someone tell me why this car was in the consist ?

#333625  by Gilbert B Norman

There is a private car operator, Juniata Terminal, that owns several cars painted in PRR livery. One car is named Warrior Ridge which was an ex-SP/Amtrak Lounge. They also operate #120, which was a PRR Business Car. That car has an open platform.

JT also owns two E-8 locomotives in PRR livery.

Possibly, you have occasion to ride in the Frankford Jct area of Philadelphia. On the east side of the tracks, you may note some artwork depicting the once mighty Pennsy "Serving the Nation". That is JT's HQ, but I understand they do not exactly throw out the welcome mat to "visiting firemen" railfans.

Our esteemed photographer at this Forum, Mr. Bob Vogel (chuchubob) has posted (by URL link) numerous photos of JT equipment.

#333632  by pennsy

Hi All,

I guess I misunderstood the title of this thread. There actually is a PRR passenger car, # 120, a heavyweight observation car, that is called the Pennsylvania. It is privately owned, and last I heard, a NY Attorney named Pins owned it. It probably could be chartered if you so expressed an interest.

#333643  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Pennsy, George Pins, who I had occasion to meet "along the way", and PRR #120 have long since parted company.

#333661  by chuchubob

Bennett and Eric Levin (Juniata Terminal) own Pennsylvania 120 and two other cars in matching JTC livery: Warrior Ridge and Little Juniata Rapids. These three cars brought up the rear of the Liberty Limited.
http://chuchubob.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... ?id=584158

Messrs Levin also own the PRR E8's, magnificently restored at the hands of Eric Levin and assistants, which powered the Liberty Limited.
http://chuchubob.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... ?id=584096

Bob Vogel

#333720  by Tadman

Is there a Juniata Terminal railroad or rail-oriented enterprise other than the E's and PRR-liveried rolling stock?

#333763  by pennsy

Hi All,

Well how about that. I take it that the Levin brothers are something like a modern day F. Nelson Blount. Obviously not hurting for some gold coins either. In any event, # 120 still looks great. Did they retain the staff for the car and/ or renovate it ? I was always impressed by the large dial indicator on the end wall of the car which showed the speed of the train. Today I would make it a digital readout. At that time, the car was powered by batteries charged by a generator under the car with a power takeoff from one of the truck's axles. Not too much different from Dean McCormack's Scottish Thistle.

The E-8's look great as well. Do they still have the twin diesels in them, or have they been modernized as the UP E-9's have ???

And of course, how is George Pins doing these days ? Did he take on a different railcar ?

#333802  by pablo

James...why exactly should Gil hold off?

Dave Becker

#333949  by Engineer James

Ahhh, ok. Sorry, I thought it could be Mountain View. they never tell who bought the car on the website. They do have a few nice PV's on there for sale.

#334032  by Gilbert B Norman

Interesting, Mr. Deasy.

The last time I noted a photo of that car, it was in Penn Central livery. Of further interest, Greenwich Harbor, by grace of its assumption of the New Haven, was on-line for the PC, but not so for the PRR. Roads customarilly named their cars, when denoting a geographic location, for such that were on-line.

#334045  by jhdeasy

The car's original name as a PRR parlor car was ROGER WILLIAMS. The car's current owners renamed it GREENWICH HARBOR. A few years ago, they bought another x-PRR parlor from Amtrak (original name escapes me at the moment) which they renamed GREENWICH ESTATES.