Railroad Forums 

• Peabody

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#217865  by Xplorer2000

mick wrote:Eastman is still getting carloads of bone, EDLO brings them to Lowell or Lawrence, then LOSA brings them to Boston for BO-1 Yes, the gelatin used to make film is made out of animal bone. It is "cooked" until the marrow oozes out, then mixed with other chemicals and further processed. I wonder how many vegetarians know this. Well, they can all be thankful for digital cameras, but if they get x-rays or something like that, there would be a conflict there, that film is still made from bone.
Also the gel-caps your favorite over the counter pain-killer comes in.... :wink:
The bones arrive pre-crushed and cleaned...no marrow.....in covered hoppers, and are de-mineralized in Muriatic(Hydrochloric) Acid, which was the chemical in the tank car Guilford was transporting that leaked in Somerville.At this point it becomes collagen.After some more processing and blending, it becomes one of three grades of Gelatin: Pharmaceutical, Edible, or Photographic. Dicalcium Phospate is a by-product of the de-mineralization process and is used in fertilizer, and as an animal feed supplement.
PS: Yes I've done my home work....since I live nearby, I thought it might be a good industry to try to model.....
BTW U.S. Plastics is NOT being renovated......apparently , its being demolished....I usually take the train, so I didn't see it happening 'til I took a bus past it this week. :(

#301339  by cabooser

mick wrote:Eastman is still getting carloads of bone, EDLO brings them to Lowell or Lawrence, then LOSA brings them to Boston for BO-1 Yes, the gelatin used to make film is made out of animal bone. It is "cooked" until the marrow oozes out, then mixed with other chemicals and further processed. I wonder how many vegetarians know this. Well, they can all be thankful for digital cameras, but if they get x-rays or something like that, there would be a conflict there, that film is still made from bone.
lol...i've been a vegetarian for 12 years--this is common knowledge i thougt...