Railroad Forums 

• Passing of Bernie Ente

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #920172  by krispy

It is with deep regret that I have found that Bernie Ente has passed away -

As seen in http://newtownpentacle.com/2011/04/08/bernie/ "Bernard Ente died this morning. Master photographer, historian, community leader, advocate for Newtown Creek and all things maritime, Bernie is survived by his wife and daughter- who for the time being, ask Bernie’s many friends to abstain from attempts at contacting them..."

I was very saddened to hear this, and will miss his wit, enthusiasm for his interests, his photography and what many of you may know, his many trips. RIP!

Thanks to Mitch W. and Kevin K. for sharing this sad news...
 #920190  by jtunnel

Yes very sad, I'm still in shock.

I'm going to miss my friend.

We'll all miss his insight, (here and on the other lists he'd post to from time to time)

Rail fanning with him along the Mohawk or in the Bronx was always an adventure.
 #920267  by giljanus

I too will miss Bernie.

I remember many a walk along the NYCR and parts of the LIRR or the many boat trips to various old waterfront rail terminals.

Kevin K. kept me informed of his heath issues and his passing.

Take care old friend.

Gil, known as Bill somedays ...
 #920307  by SlackControl

I didn't know him personally, but it's still sad to bear of his passing. My thoughts are with his family. If I may, what was his screen name on this board?
 #920849  by Teutobergerwald

A great guy. Hooked me up BIG-TIME on that trip down to Bay Ridge & back in 2000. Sorry to see him pass. I hope his heirs pass his work on the NYA, LIRR & other carriers he photographed to persons who will do right by the man and his family and publish it.
 #921654  by Mr rt

I met Bernie a couple of times & did the NY-Connecting Ry tour that he lead some years ago.
I was also on the two NY & Atl fan trips on the Bayridge line.
A big loss to the railfan community !
 #921918  by railfan365

Definitely sad. Mr.Ente and I never met or even more close. However, I was aware of him by seeing his images and other contributions online, and being aware of his popularity. Thus, it does mean something to me that he is no longer with us.
 #925084  by Yonkers Rails

I heard about Bernie's passing recently, and I am deeply saddened by it.

I met Bernie at Fresh Pond in 2000, and he was nice enough to bring a few of us in his vehicle into the yard for photos.

Thanks to that very kind and small gesture, I got talking with Alex Martinez, who since then, for 11 years has been a friend of mine.

Little gestures go a long way. Life is too short.

I lost my father recently at 57, so I will pray that his family and friends may find the same strength I have endured, and to remember all of the fond memories, because with them, Bernie will be with you always.

Be well friends,

Michael Foley
YONKERS RAILS