Railroad Forums 

• Passenger equipment on NS

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#17165  by railbirrd

I have seen passenger cars in mid train on a couple of Norfolk Southern general merchandise moves traveling threw Hillsborough towards Mannville. Trains are moving to fast to see the owners of these cars. Does anyone know if they are heading for rebuilds somewhere or are the maybe being scrapped? Just curious.

#17188  by DutchRailnut

most probably NJT cars heading towards or coming from Alstom in Hornell NY.
Alstom builds new cars and rebuilds older comets for NJT.

#17200  by nolifeCRchaser

As stated by DutchRailnut, the cars are New Jersey Transit and Metro North coaches being built in NY. The coaches are always run on the hind end of the train due to trailing tonnage restrictions. There will usually be an empty freight car before and after the coaches to act as a buffer and also the end of train device can not be hung on the couplers of the coaches. The train that brings the coaches into north Jersey is the NS 32A(Allentown, PA - Croxton, NJ).

#17275  by nick11a

Yeah, probably the NJT and MN Comet Vs. The Comet IIs should all be just about delivered by now.

#17432  by transit383

I think its safe to say that the C2 rebuild process has been completed. With the delivery of 5460 (the C2 club) and that damaged C2 a few weeks ago, that should have been the end of it.

There is a thread on this over on the NJT Forum.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... c0ca1922b1

#17685  by nick11a

Yeah, I remember that thread. Well, so the Comet 2 rebuild is now over. Bring on the Comet III rebuild and hopefully (crosses fingers) an Arrow III rebuild.

#21975  by nolifeCRchaser

A few more of these coaches arrived at Croxton last night. Here is a shot of one of the Northeast Corridor test engines with a pair of coaches.

#22098  by nick11a

nolifeCRchaser wrote:A few more of these coaches arrived at Croxton last night. Here is a shot of one of the Northeast Corridor test engines with a pair of coaches.
Ah, thanks! Looks like two MTA C5 coaches. Where was the photo taken?

#22159  by CNJFAN

Are the coaches getting delivered by NS brand new or rebuilds?
They look new to me but just wanted to be sure.

#22343  by transit383

They are brand new Comet 5 coaches being delivered to NJT and MTA.

On closer inspection of that photo, those are either cabs or restroom equipped trailers. Any info as to which they were?

#22353  by DutchRailnut

looks like cabcars, is that a numberboard at upper far end.

#22388  by nolifeCRchaser

The cab cars and coaches are brand new built in Hornell, NY I think. The picture was taken in Croxton Yard prior to the cars being dropped to NJT. There was a mix of cab cars and coaches in the yard that day, but most likely they are MN cab cars. After receiving a message from someone from the NJT forum, I stopped writting down and posting the numbers.

#22410  by nick11a

Oh yeah, definitely cab cars.