Railroad Forums 

• Pascack Valley NS GP38

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#96319  by sullivan1985

Along the Pascack Valley Line just south of the Rt. 80 overpass in South Hackensack, there is a small siding right by the Rt. 80 East enterance that almost always has an ideling (with no crew) or powered down NS GP38 sitting on the siding hooked to a box or two next to a warehouse.

I plan on getting overthere sometime this week to grab a photo of it.

Is this the locomotive that handels all the light moves on the PVL? 90% of the time its there.

#99045  by hsr_fan

I remember a Conrail engine always being parked there, back when I worked for AlliedSignal in Teterboro! Ah, the good 'ol days! :wink:
 #99986  by jmp883

If I recall correctly from my days on the the NJT Mainline dispatch desk, that is the engine for either the H-80 or H-81 locals that work the PVL. They come out after the morning rush is over....do their work along the PVL and then head to Croxton. Often times the two trains would combine into one to go to Croxton. They would be ready to return just prior to the afternoon rush, we could usually get them up the PVL and out of the way before the afternoon rush started.

Hope this helps!

Joe P :-D

#99994  by gravelyfan

H81 is the regular PVL local that keeps the locomotive in Teterboro.

The H80 had been the local based at Teterboro, and the H81 was based in Wood Ridge, but they were consolidated into just the H81 a few years ago. The H80 symbol may have been resurrected as a yard/relief job, as I sometimes see it mentioned on paperwork.

I don't know which job is going up to Kuiken Bros. at Emerson these days (probably not that often in the winter anyway); for a while it seemed like the H84 out of Croxton would go up there once a week. Now that Ford has closed, perhaps the H81 has enough time to handle this work now??

#100060  by GSP163

I don't know which job is going up to Kuiken Bros. at Emerson these days (probably not that often in the winter anyway);
Kuiken Emerson really doesn't get many cars.....Most of the rail cars go to Midland Park via the NYSW and that lumber on those cars are transfered out to the other yards.....However, that is going to change as soon as Kuiken's new Lumber yard is built in Roxbury where the old Wickes Lumber was on Route 10.....Since it will be the new "transfer" yard (currently Midland Park is) most of the rail cars will be heading there via the Morristown & Erie Railroad.......Emerson & Midland Park will only get rail cars to stock their yards only.

#100261  by njt5140

As of 4 AM this morning GP40-2 PRR 3025 is parked on the spur in Hackensack.

#100527  by njt4172

GSP163 wrote:
I don't know which job is going up to Kuiken Bros. at Emerson these days (probably not that often in the winter anyway);
Kuiken Emerson really doesn't get many cars.....Most of the rail cars go to Midland Park via the NYSW and that lumber on those cars are transfered out to the other yards.....However, that is going to change as soon as Kuiken's new Lumber yard is built in Roxbury where the old Wickes Lumber was on Route 10.....Since it will be the new "transfer" yard (currently Midland Park is) most of the rail cars will be heading there via the Morristown & Erie Railroad.......Emerson & Midland Park will only get rail cars to stock their yards only.
Wow, this is news to me! So I guess that if Kuiken's new lumber yard is moved to the old Wick's lumber site then M&E will have to cross route 10 again on the old Chester Branch....I think the old Wick's lumber site has been dormant for at least the last 5 years.....Right now the furthest south customer on the Chester Branch is Holland Manufacturing.

Steve

Steve

#107672  by GSP163

Wow, this is news to me! So I guess that if Kuiken's new lumber yard is moved to the old Wick's lumber site then M&E will have to cross route 10 again on the old Chester Branch....I think the old Wick's lumber site has been dormant for at least the last 5 years.....Right now the furthest south customer on the Chester Branch is Holland Manufacturing.
Yes you will see trains crossing Route 10 again (I wonder if new grade crossings will be put in)......However, I heard that the tracks are in real bad shape but apparently M&E really wants Kuiken's business so I would expect M&E to start working on the tracks as soon the building of the yard gets underway.......Don't know exactly when the bulding will start but guys have already been sent there to clean out the old buildings that are still left over......I guess once all the permits are in order the building with begin.

#107682  by 7 Train

Yes you will see trains crossing Route 10 again (I wonder if new grade crossings will be put in)......However, I heard that the tracks are in real bad shape but apparently M&E really wants Kuiken's business so I would expect M&E to start working on the tracks as soon the building of the yard gets underway.......Don't know exactly when the bulding will start but guys have already been sent there to clean out the old buildings that are still left over......I guess once all the permits are in order the building with begin.
Will the NJ 10 grade crossing continue to be a "passive" one-controlled by M&E crews?