Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am Worcester Main Line

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1618568  by rustyrails

It's weird to see the train going through the res at the higher rate of speed. The M427 leaving MPX 25 at around 2pm this aft was over 6000' long with about 8 hazmats aboard. Some trains are definitely getting longer.
 #1618598  by newpylong

Tonnage always goes up in the spring. More grain, more cement, more building materials, more hot asphalt. Less propane, etc.,
 #1618614  by F74265A

Interestingly, blocks of coal for Bow have run north over the Worcester main on 426 recently, including a number of cars today. That will add to tonnage. Don’t know if hiding these cars in the middle of a manifest is to reduce crews or lower the profile of the controversial traffic
 #1618634  by taracer

It's to reduce the use of locomotives and crews, per PSR, it's an operating method. 10 or 15 years ago an extra train like this would have run as its own train and the crew would have been deadheaded back home to Selkirk on arrival.

As I've tried to explain many times, there is no longer any standby extra power in Selkirk it's all relay power now to keep the number of operating locomotives down to the bare bones. That's why if anything goes wrong, whole subdivisions shut down. The train to Worcester is waiting on power from a train that got held up on the River or Mohawk. Wen the power finally shows up at Selkirk, they will just run it no matter what time it is. So now that late train is in the way and must be held, or other trains must be held. So now at least one crew outlaws. But you don't have any crews for the recrew either.

So now you are single track in a congested area and more trains outlaw. Meltdown, all self-inflicted of course, but they will just blame the crews.

The crew issues are self-inflicted as well, so this is how they have to operate now thanks to PSR. It's got nothing to do with hiding. This is now SOP due to the cuts made since 2017 under PSR.

They even do this with high value shipments such as autos and transformers.
 #1618638  by F74265A

thanks. Was curious since the news reported in late December 2022 that what I believe was a unit train to Bow got blocked by climate activists at Westford.
 #1618642  by newpylong

This may all be true but does not have to do with the issue of coal here presently.
taracer wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:10 pm It's got nothing to do with hiding. This is now SOP due to the cuts made since 2017 under PSR.
I was told directly by those involved in the move that they are again trying to fly under the radar due to the protesters. It does not have anything to do with PSR, etc.
 #1618647  by NHV 669

F74265A wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:57 pm thanks. Was curious since the news reported in late December 2022 that what I believe was a unit train to Bow got blocked by climate activists at Westford.
These are the first two moves since that train. 18 cars yesterday, 20 today. Supposedly they were going to be getting a bunch over the winter, I guess that didn't happen.
 #1618677  by jwhite07

I am scannerless, but has anyone heard the new X7.8 detector yet? Does it still call itself "B&M Detector" or something else now?
 #1618695  by johnhenry

427 past Sterling Junction around 1530 today, at track speed, CSX 471 and 2 others, 82 freight with quite a few cement cars and a flat car loaded with train wheels.
Lately the schedule seems to be 426 thru Wach Reservoir area mid to late morning and 427 thru mid to late afternoon. Oh - yes the 7.8 detector still uses the same recording.