• Pan Am Repaint Thread

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by KSmitty

That nose looks weird with the light in and the globe so low.
  by bmcdr

Maine Central 313 is the latest to emerge from Waterville Shops. 313 looked like she just left the shop yesterday, there wasn't a speck of road dirt on her. It went west out of Waterville on WASE, and as of 3pm this afternoon it was in front of old Lowell Tower as the trailing unit on SEWA awaiting re-crew.[attachment=0]2-18h.jpg[/attachment
  by ST214

Very nice....thanks for sharing!
bmcdr wrote:Maine Central 313 is the latest to emerge from Waterville Shops. 313 looked like she just left the shop yesterday, there wasn't a speck of road dirt on her. It went west out of Waterville on WASE, and as of 3pm this afternoon it was in front of old Lowell Tower as the trailing unit on SEWA awaiting re-crew.[attachment=0]2-18h.jpg[/attachment
  by CN9634

Once again heard that MEC 310 is next in line.

Also MEC 511 is in Northern Maine Junction as NM-1.
  by ST214

Paint shop seems to have a revolving door lately......makes sense....

The plan with the overhauls is the unit will be put in service for 30 days to make sure it's running properly....At the end of 30 days with no failures, the unit will be sent back to Waterville for paint. We know that 381 was rebuilt....382 was at Waterville for awhile, reemerged, then got painted, i suspect a rebuild there(of a lighter variety, seeing as it was in good shape from NS)....I suspect that 313 went thru rebuild too. Now it's 310's turn. At this point, anything coming out of Waterville, i'd just expect it to be painted within a month and a half. Who knows....maybe they will just start painting them upon release from overhaul.
  by CN9634

MEC 310 is painted and MEC 604 is reported as in the booth or almost done. Also there may be a lapse between paint jobs as the 252 and 216 will be painted back into MEC colors. This may delay Pan Am Repaints by a few weeks.
  by KSmitty

No, he meant 604.
An SD40 was reported a week ago as being almost done, it was reported as 601 at that time, but has since been rereported as #604.
  by calaisbranch

Yes, it came to me about the time I hit the submit button. Reminds me of the orginal 600s they had in the early 1990s. At least these will get a nicer color scheme!
  by KSmitty

Yep! I'm looking forward to seeing a 600 in the dip blue, definitely something I thought would never, ever happen!

By the way, nice pictures!

In that second one, the tracks on the left look real beat up, are they still used?
  by calaisbranch

Kevin,

About the pics....thanks!

Those sidings are not in service. You see the switch in the foreground....the siding out of view that would be between the train and outermost siding has some OLD bulkhead flats being stored there. Otherwise, the zip tie in the handle of the switch post pretty much sums it up. Its a cool area with that yard that borders the river, but there is some scarey track in there!

Jeff
  by KSmitty

Thanks for answering that.

I noticed in your pictures that both locomotives were in Pan Am paint. I was just wondering, does anyone know what percent of PAR's active power is actually wearing PAR paint? It seems like I am seeing a lot more dip blue in the last few weeks.
  by CN9634

Not counting HELMs as PAR units I would say about 10 percent. Luckily there is a list on the first page of this thread ;)
  by KSmitty

I saw the list, but I dont know how many locos are OOS. I will have to take a look at Bill Gingrich's last report.

Edit-counting all 10 "new" SD40 class locomotives PAR has 67 in service.

-In PAR ph1 - 2 engines accounting for 3% of the roster.
-In PAR ph2 - 14 (counting 604 which is as of yet unreleased) accounting for 20% of the roster.
-In GRS ph2 - 1 (BM 332 is the last example after the 621 went down) accounts for 1% of the roster.
-In GRS ph3 - 43 accounting for 64% of the roster.
-In KCS gray - 7 accounting for 10% of the roster
-In TFM Blue - 2 accounting for 3% of the roster.

And yes I know the % add up to more than 100 due to rounding.