Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am Railways, For Sale/Acquisition/Merger?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1398752  by fogg1703

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:PAR customer MS Walker, being evicted from the Innerbelt in Somerville because of Green Line Extension construction claiming their building, has taken a relocation deal to S&S and will become a CSX-Readville customer. Not sure when the moving vans are scheduled to take them across town, but it'll be a welcome infusion of new activity in Boston-proper despite Somerville's and PAR's loss.
Well its a draw as List Logistics moved their rail services from Readville to Billerica on PAR and MS Walker will be moving from Somerville to Readville on CSX. C
 #1398884  by Safetee

i was just thinking the other day that wouldnt PAS and especially NS be much better off owning the line from gardner to providence and davisville not to mention the transloading empire in worcester than just letting gwi spread its short line wings wings for little money into a very interesting east coast port of entry? I find it hard to believe that theyre not even a little bit interested.
 #1398934  by Safetee

Well, the way i read it is that a long time ago beyond lip service P&W never really tried to exploit the port connections partially i suspect because they didnt really have the money, political backing, and probably not the rail connections either for a variety of reasons.

as far as the worcester main is concerned, well why would ns want a piece of their main competitors bridge feeder lines with little or no on line traffic to steal that they might have to pay to fix up at no advantage to themselves. as far as their current east west traffic is concerned, gardner is a much shorter and in far better condition shot to worcester and providence.
 #1398938  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Gardner's a much-inferior route. The yard is small, and it's operationally inefficient for PAS to have to play fetch from the real auto facility in Ayer to make the exchange. For P&W it's 25 miles of track they have to maintain to relatively good quality to transport racks, and there's absolutely no on-line biz justifying its existence beyond that. With the G&W buy both parties are probably going to look at their options for relocating the interchange to some more opportune place their systems intersect.

The Worcester Main may or may not be one of the places they look at. All depends on whether PAR or its successors are warm to the idea of letting a third wheel in P&W (not NS) have overhead trackage rights on its Worcester Main to do set-offs at Hill Yard instead of Gardner. If MassDOT floated some dollar bills for substantial track upgrades to bring the players to the table PAR would probably consider this (and have to consider this), because if the system is partitioned from PAS the Worcester Main becomes part of 'the' main and one overhead round-trip per day is a small barter for somebody else buying them a brand new railroad. Pure speculation at such an early date where the G&W purchase hasn't even gone in front of the STB, but that's the kind of all-options-on-table sifting the players will look at post-transaction about how to mutually optimize that interchange. If NS and P&W can find a mutually beneficial way to trim Gardner, they'll do it because it's subpar efficiency to interchange there.

Providence is simply way too small and way too close drayage distance to Ayer via I-190 and MA 146 to register on NS's radar. P&W's figured out the ports thing and is starting to do pretty well milking Davisville, Providence, and New Haven. Good on them, good for whatever PAS can schlep from that in interchange loads. NS certainly isn't displeased with the auto growth. But RI freight volumes are zit-sized for a Class I's interests just like CT's, VT's, and NH's are. Portland, being *just* at the outer limits of optimal drayage distance, is some interest as exploitable leverage via a second-party. But if NS has pretty firmly drawn its border at Ayer and shown little to no interest in sniffing around Div. 2, then the answer to every other question in the Norfolk boardroom is "Providence, Where?" Doesn't register for internal strategy at all.
 #1398988  by strangelyamused

i personally think that the PW coming up to ayer would be a pain in the ass considering it seems like half the time ayer is a cluster____ and becasue of the *usually* very unpredictable sepo and pose. Gardner aint ideal but it kinda seems like PW have more of an easy time going there whenever to do their thing instead of fighting with all the ayer locals and the pig etc.
Last edited by MEC407 on Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: language
 #1399006  by B&M 1227

I've seen huge blocks of P&Ws come through EDFLD, in many cases, enough to warrant a full train. I know there was once an ED190 which took care of "MILFS," PW's and Fitchburgs, though the Millers Falls interchange is stagnant now and EDPO takes care of the remainder. Honestly it might be time for G&W trackage/haulage rights EDFLD-Gardner. Could probably strike up a ceasefire over the Conn River North to push it through. Not that transit times or scales of efficiency really mean anything to Pan Am, but removing the Gardner Interchange would increase the likely hood of EL-23 actually making it to Lawrence. EDFLD would be a reasonable place for blocking G&W Norths vs G&W souths, with either a PAR shuttle working to Millers, Gardner, or Brattleboro, or a NECR shuttle Bratt-EDFLD. PAR's attitude has changed regarding carloads, no longer chasing them, but the physical plant and motive power situation is restrictive in the ability to provide all the services they want to. Maybe time to bite the bullet and let G&W into EDFLD to save on their own resources and inefficiencies.
 #1399555  by CPF363

strangelyamused wrote:i personally think that the PW coming up to ayer would be a pain in the ass considering it seems like half the time ayer is a cluster____ and becasue of the *usually* very unpredictable sepo and pose. Gardner aint ideal but it kinda seems like PW have more of an easy time going there whenever to do their thing instead of fighting with all the ayer locals and the pig etc.
This might not be all that bad of an idea. If the Worcester Main Line were able to handle train movements at a reliable 25 MPH and a re-engineered Hill Yard could have significant benefits to all parties. Racks would not need to be set off at Gardner in the small yard on a hill, instead those could be brought to Ayer and set off there on an interchange track with a run-around track. Train 287 could start out of the Hill Yard with locals handling the Ford Yard, especially with power switches off the Camp track. Freight interchange could remain over the Garner Branch with a run-through train out of Deerfield. A significant change to the Worcester Route would be extending the Greendale siding to New Bond Street to the west and east to Burncoat Street for meets and crew changes with SEPO/POSE.
 #1399595  by CPF363

CN9634 wrote:Why would Pan Am (which is separate from PAS) give up it's only direct connection with CSX? That would be foolish.
If you read the text of my post again, where does it say that Pan Am should give up its direct connection with CSX? This is most especially true with my last statement:
CPF363 wrote:A significant change to the Worcester Route would be extending the Greendale siding to New Bond Street to the west and east to Burncoat Street for meets and crew changes with SEPO/POSE.
I furthermore stated regarding improvements to the Hill Yard and the Worcester Route:
CPF363 wrote:If the Worcester Main Line were able to handle train movements at a reliable 25 MPH and a re-engineered Hill Yard could have significant benefits to all parties.
All parties would be PAR, PAS, P&W and the MBTA.
 #1399693  by Scalziand

roberttosh wrote:From what I've been told, East Worcester has the capacity to handle and offload more trains but is running out of parking spaces. If you look at google maps, there does seem to be at least some adjacent property (some with buildings, some without) that they could expand their parking space into, but they'll still always be tight for space at best with any future growth. Not ideal by any means, but off-site parking/storage is always an option too. West Springfield seems to be in a similar predicament and I'm sure the abutters at both locations know they have all the leverage now regarding sale price. It's really too bad they couldn't expand their Westboro footprint lengthwise as that would have given them a much more traditional rectangular shaped layout with excellent highway access to I-495 and the pike.

Pretty much all the warehouses between Arctic and Plastic street next to the CSX yard are owned by a single developer. They've been planning on turning them into lofts for a while now, but if CSX gave them an offer they couldn't refuse...

http://www.telegram.com/article/20141115/NEWS/311159832" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1401267  by johnpbarlow

A newly divulged news item wrt G&W's acquisition of P&W: Per a Worcester Telegram article of 9/12/16, there were at least two other serious bidders, "party A" (the initiator of the idea to merge P&W) and "party B".

http://www.telegram.com/news/20160911/t ... r-its-sale

Could Party A, seeking "to further develop strategic opportunities and enhance regional connectivity" have been Pan Am Southern or NS?