Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1227513  by madcrow

Were any of the older PATH cars saved when the new new PA5s came around? I know that a few cars that were involved in 9/11 were stripped and sent to Washington for a memorial and that some PA4s were saved as work equipment, but what I want to know is if any equipment was sent to/purchased by transit museums. I'm mainly interested in this because the older PATH cards are widely reported as having been the inspiration for the MBTA's Hawker-Siddeley Blue and Orange Line cars and I'd like to know if it's too late to see how they comapre.
 #1227537  by Fan Railer

madcrow wrote:Were any of the older PATH cars saved when the new new PA5s came around? I know that a few cars that were involved in 9/11 were stripped and sent to Washington for a memorial and that some PA4s were saved as work equipment, but what I want to know is if any equipment was sent to/purchased by transit museums. I'm mainly interested in this because the older PATH cards are widely reported as having been the inspiration for the MBTA's Hawker-Siddeley Blue and Orange Line cars and I'd like to know if it's too late to see how they comapre.
Aside from the ones you mentioned, no. None were purchased by transit museums as far as we know.
 #1227834  by 25Hz

The cars wrecked under WTC will appear in the museum at WTC. I believe they will be left as-is.

I hope at least some of the old fleet is preserved, as the oldest cars were in operation for 45 years, one of the longest service lives of any revenue rolling stock.
 #1229685  by R36 Combine Coach

Most (but not all) of the PA4s are work motors (some painted yellow and the ends). Some were held for the Smithsonian's 9/11 collection and the other WTC cars are stored at JFK Airport by the PANYNJ. The last K-cars were scrapped by 2011 as well.
madcrow wrote:I'm mainly interested in this because the older PATH cards are widely reported as having been the inspiration for the MBTA's Hawker-Siddeley Blue and Orange Line cars and I'd like to know if it's too late to see how they comapre.
The MBTA Hawker Siddeley cars were based on the PA3s. The only surviving PA3 would be 745, which survived the WTC collapse and is stored at JFK (as mentioned above).
 #1236247  by ryanov

Still not too late to compare -- loads of photos around. Having ridden both, the biggest difference I notice is. The sharper inward angle at the bottom of the cars on the Boston stuff and the different interior fittings.
 #1250979  by 4400Washboard

What cars have been set aside for the WTC collection?

I know that various PA3 cars and a PA4 were saved, but were any PA1/2s saved?

MODNOTE: Topics merged.
 #1253102  by 25Hz

tjensen wrote:What cars have been set aside for the WTC collection?

I know that various PA3 cars and a PA4 were saved, but were any PA1/2s saved?

MODNOTE: Topics merged.
I do not believe any PA1 were saved.
 #1306367  by PVRX1

Some of the fours ave the ends painted yellow and are being used in non revenue service. Not sure how many though.