• Owego & Harford in SAYRE - Lehigh Railway

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by setaf

One of the new residents of the area at North Towanda. Is that a new engine shed also?
  by LRWYENGR18222

That unit should be out and running this week sometime. The building is going to be an engine house with pit. We will be able to put one inside and one out back.
  by setaf

Thanks very much for the info and updates. It's exciting to see a resurgence of rail in Towanda. My grandfather worked for the old S&NY and the LVRR for 40+ years and I spent hours as a kid watching the trains in North Towanda, both on the main and on the branch headed for Dushore. One great joy was riding with Joe Zadrusky a few times in #26. Any news of any possible increased traffic on the Monroeton track?
  by LRWYENGR18222

setaf wrote:Thanks very much for the info and updates. It's exciting to see a resurgence of rail in Towanda. My grandfather worked for the old S&NY and the LVRR for 40+ years and I spent hours as a kid watching the trains in North Towanda, both on the main and on the branch headed for Dushore. One great joy was riding with Joe Zadrusky a few times in #26. Any news of any possible increased traffic on the Monroeton track?
The Reading & Northern operates the old State Line & Sullivan branch. There aren't any plans for increased traffic as far as I know. There are several new customers planning on coming on line between Wysox and Mehoopany so traffic is going to keep increasing on the Lehigh Line.
  by thannon

The two other GP's are sitting at Waverly at this time on a stopped and locked 12T/39T riding out the single tracking shutdown. Pictures to follow.

-edit 14:11:

Train turned out to be an outlawed H88 that was left parked at CP-Waverly. Included photos in with single tracking Tier page:

http://than357.weebly.com/24oct10.html
  by railroadcarmover

I looked at the BDLX #2205 back in 2003 when it was at the Utica SLRR shops, inspecting the fleet of the former GE P&W units that Delevan was selling, as I was picking out a unit to purchase. I recall the #2205 had to have some rewiring work since there was a fire in the high voltage circuit around the reverser contactors assembly.
( I narrowed my interest to the #2207 since it had new wheels but later found out it had freeze damage. I then purchased the #2209 but specified I wanted the wheels ( combos ) off the #2207 )

The #2205 had the wiring work performed before it was made available to Wimpy.
  by LRWYENGR18222

railroadcarmover wrote:I looked at the BDLX #2205 back in 2003 when it was at the Utica SLRR shops, inspecting the fleet of the former GE P&W units that Delevan was selling, as I was picking out a unit to purchase. I recall the #2205 had to have some rewiring work since there was a fire in the high voltage circuit around the reverser contactors assembly.
( I narrowed my interest to the #2207 since it had new wheels but later found out it had freeze damage. I then purchased the #2209 but specified I wanted the wheels ( combos ) off the #2207 )

The #2205 had the wiring work performed before it was made available to Wimpy.
It ended up not being an electrical problem. After changing a bunch of components and cards, delevan removed the governor and found an oil line that was plugging up when the unit got hot. Thats why she was working for the first couple hours and then would stop loading. Now shes out and running by herself. Possibly the strongest U23B in the fleet.
  by scottychaos

Tom,
is the outlawed train sitting on what is going to be the passing siding? or the new mainline?
the way the tracks are arranged just to the west of the pennsylvania avenue bridge, it appears the train is sitting on the mainline!
Can anyone explain which tracks are which in this photo:

http://than357.weebly.com/uploads/3/7/3 ... 7_orig.jpg

(not all of them, just the two mainline tracks..I know what the rest are! ;)
which is going to the new mainline, and which is the siding?
beautiful photo by the way! :P

thanks,
Scot
  by malfunctjct

The train is sitting on what is now the Main; former Track 1.
  by scottychaos

malfunctjct wrote:The train is sitting on what is now the Main; former Track 1.
thats what I thought! thanks..
just seems odd they would park the train on the main, rather than the new passing siding..
but thats probably because of work being done on tracks nearby..or work being done on the passing siding itself..
the main would perhaps be the only track *not* having some work done on it that day!

Scot
  by sallenparks

The GP40's went through Elmira at 5.00P.M. going to GangMills most likely.
  by setaf

[/quote]The Reading & Northern operates the old State Line & Sullivan branch. There aren't any plans for increased traffic as far as I know. There are several new customers planning on coming on line between Wysox and Mehoopany so traffic is going to keep increasing on the Lehigh Line.[/quote]

I have kept hearing rumors that there might be some future off loading facilities in the area between South Towanda and Monroeton. Before Joe sold the RR to the R&N he mentioned there had been some serious talk of it also. It was nice to get the 802 up here.....an ex-LV on home rails.
  by thannon

sallenparks wrote:The GP40's went through Elmira at 5.00P.M. going to GangMills most likely.
No mention that they must be on the LWRY now - point brought up after watching two (LS 3001 being one of the units) GP40's howling a pretty decent train out of Sayre last night. This was the first time I've seen them in use - knew it the second I heard them.
  by thannon

Another visitor to the Lehigh Railway - Luzerne Susquehanna Railway #50, a SW7 (thanks Scotty you saved me looking all over the internet). According to a member of the crew there either wasn't room or time to drop it off in Towanda. The unit wasn't operational and needs (I believe) a block heater installed in Pitson. Engine should be around Towanda for the near future.

Pictures:
http://than357.weebly.com/26nov10.html

Short video (also linked in above page):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZJzdCXJFpA

Side note - for some time now there have been new ties laid out along between the west end of the yard and almost to the overhead bridge near the station. I would guess these belong to the LRWY. Several months ago the LRWY had their own track gang come through and work upto that point from the west.