Railroad Forums 

• Outbound MSW

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #648641  by DogBert

http://www.brooklyneagle.com/categories ... 1&id=26888

Looks like hell has frozen over and someone, somewhere, finally realized getting more trucks off the streets is a good idea.

I believe these are already rolling - perhaps those big green containers? I haven't been down to the Bush in awhile but I do see them rolling over hell gate on CSX daily.
 #649739  by RRChef

with this increase in tonnage, are there any improvements planned for the Bushwick or will it just be business as usual?
 #660311  by DogBert

A photo of the new siding:
Looking west:
The new siding is on the far side of the tracks. I'm assuming this is where the MSW is suppose to be loaded? The building has two doors that look more like for loading boxcars that containers of MSW. If this is indeed the spot and not some other new customer it'll be interesting to see what cars they use.

The track and I believe the entire building over there are new. the lot next door is where DSNY parks their trash trucks (those are snow plows stored on that rack against the tracks)

Looking east at the rest of the Bush yard

The new track leads in from the only track that dead ends (under the scott ave. pedestrian bridge) so switching this spot is going to be most interesting.

I'm a bit confused as to if this is the new msw spot though, since it seems WM is now doing MSW using large green cubes on flat cars. The last 4 bftx C&D cars are on the dead end track under scott ave. This yard was once full of them. Now it's all green cubes during the week.
 #660405  by Sir Ray

Going by your images, it looks as if the new Transfer Station was originally some sort of chemical plant (Enequest Chemical?) according to Live Local - building is definitely new (or heavily rebuilt). I admit loading doors like that are odd if they are going to use MSW containers (which I guess is standard practice nowadays).
 #660705  by DogBert

Building must be entirely new. It comes out to the sidewalk of randolph st. now. Perhaps the city is having wm load it directly, which would explain all the new cars - but not this new building. Might pass by there again soon and take a look at who's name is on the front of it.
 #661047  by freightguy

Acutally that new buiding with a 2 car spot is a food distributor. I guess NYA snuck that one in on the Bush underneath the railfan radar....
 #661207  by rb

The Bush is blowin' up!
 #661520  by DogBert

Figures it flew under the radar, few fans (or anyone else) like that area. I'm pretty sure that siding wasn't there in January, which was the last time I was down there. Thanks for the 411 on it...

Only in the bush can you have food distro (and beer distro? someone is getting boxcars east of metro the last year or two or three) right next to MSW. Then there's the building supply place and whoever it is that gets tankers just over the bridge on the west end. A lot of cars for very little mileage.
 #661579  by Sir Ray

DogBert wrote:A lot of cars for very little mileage.
Just like the good ol' (Golden Era) days...
 #661901  by Jayjay1213

That is one of the good things about the Bushwick, only 5 miles of track, but numerous customers that one crew can get to. Better then the old RS-30, traveling 80 miles roundtrip to service 4 customers, for a total of 2 loads a piece.

The guy on the other side of Metro is indeed a beer distributor, same company that is on the Bay Ridge.

The only tricky part of a place like the Bush, you get a lot of cars down there, with the limited amount of track space, and some of the conductors paint themselves into a corner, "guy" :-D If it wasn't for the crossings down there, in my opinion, it would be a great branch, its a puzzle to switch and spot customers, and for the engineer, its a decent little grade heading back to Pond...