Railroad Forums 

• OT Old cars in train pictures.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#31946  by Scrap The U34CH

One of my favorate things about seeing older RR photo's is checking out the great old cars that are captured in them. As with the trains, these things were the latest thing at the time, Now they are rare old relics.

Check out the 68-9 Torino fastback in this picture from George Elwoods site. It's taken at the old LV shops in Sayre PA. I would LOVE to have that beast today!!

Another fav of mine is in the EL west end book from Morning Sun. It's the front of a red\black 69 Mustang Mach 1 waiting at a grade crossing out in OH.

Anyone got any others?
 #32072  by Lackawanna484

Scrap The U34CH wrote:One of my favorate things about seeing older RR photo's is checking out the great old cars that are captured in them. As with the trains, these things were the latest thing at the time, Now they are rare old relics.
Anyone got any others?
--------------------

The old Broadway show poster ads in many train station pictures. They're often an excellent way to date the year of the picture.

In the Railroadians series on the Erie railroad in 1910, many of the station ads are for Lucky Strike cigarettes, Wrigley's gum, etc.

Paul

#32258  by Ken W2KB

Looking at the old cars in the rail photos is cool. An acqaintance of mine recently bought a '68 Cessna 150 to facilitate his flying lessons, my wife and I have a '68 Camaro Convertible, all we need is to find a '68 locomotive on airport trackage for a very memoriable photo. :wink:

#32272  by Jtgshu

All NJT's GP40's, PH's and FH's are late 60's vintage, so no problem finding a loco!!!!

It would be easy to put teh car adn train together, and the plane, well, you might have to do a little photoshop for that one!!!!

#32427  by Tri-State Tom

EXCELLENT topic Scrap !

Beyond autos....howz about fashion styles of everyday folks in these pics or the advertisements on billboards or on the bridges in the backgrounds in many railfan/photographer pics ?

Pics of trains within stations often have ad boards on platforms that are fascinating to read....'current' Broadway shows, ads for restaurants, department stores, shaving cream products ( Burma Shave ! ), etcetera, etcetera....

#32481  by BigDell

Absolutely excellent topic. Especially as an ex-professional hoofer. I ALWAYS check out the B'way posters in the station pics. Rahway was great for those... I actually have a few pics that I feel are more memorable for the posters than for the trains I shot!

True about the cars, of course. I have many shots of Broad St. Elizabeth (CNJ) taken from up on the NEC platform. I love looking at the cars parked in the station. Same for some of the local businesses in the background (In Elizabeth), the clothing worn by people at the station. Funny, next time I dig out the old photos I'll have to give them a "fresh" look...
Excellent topic, well done.
BigDell

#32573  by Ken W2KB

>>>All NJT's GP40's, PH's and FH's are late 60's vintage, so no problem finding a loco!!!! <<<

Well the '68 Camaro will be at Central Jersey Regional Airport (a/k/a Manville nee Kupper Airport) this Saturday July 10th from 10 thru 4 for the open house plane and car show. Odds are there will be an appropriate plane. (Those under 18 are entitled to a free plane ride during the event/)

Now, the ex-Reading Trenton Line runs right next to the Airport about 300 feet from where the classic cars will be mixed with the planes near the maintenance hanger. Now, if only we could get a few trees cut and arrange for NJT to send a test train down towards Trenton. . . :wink:

#32593  by Jtgshu

Hey, speaking of Comaro's, wheren't NJT's Comaro's (orignally A1's) built around 1968 or somewhere around there? Now you just need a GP40 powered "Comaro" set next to your 68 comaro!!!!

#32645  by Ken W2KB

Spot it at High Bridge next to the paved crossing at the station. :)
 #37501  by jmp883

Not just the cars and advertising........but everything! Kudos to some of the more recent Morning Sun books in that regard. The NYS&W and L&HR books have some excellent 'vintage' pictures. The NYS&W book has a great picture of the mainline going over the Rt. 208 bridge in the early 60's. A great pic because we see that Rt. 208 was originally 1 lane in each direction, although built for 2 lanes each way. There is an incredible variety of vehicles but the one that gets me is the one right in the center of the picture.....a Hess gas tanker. I remember (and wished I still had one) when Hess released these as their Christmas models, not the fictionalized toys they've being releasing the last few years.

Can't remember which book my other favorite pic was in, but there is a picture of a structure fire and in the foreground you can see the roof of a mid-60's Cadillac ambulance. I LOVE the old 60's-70's Caddy ambulances!

The old advertising signs, businesses, vehicles, fashions, etc that are in these old Morning Sun Books make them worth their price....almost makes you forget about the trains.

Joe P :D
Long Live The EL!
www.geocities.com/jmpwpd29

#39916  by Scrap The U34CH

Couple more neat ones.
Enjoy!!
1971-73 Mustang Fastback.

A blue Yugo!!!! The best thing since sliced bread!!LOL!!!

Remember the show "The Wiz"

#39997  by Ken W2KB

Our 68 Camaro convertible with a 68 Cessna Skyland at Central Jersey Regional Airport 47N (nee Kupper Airport) in Manville, NJ. Ex-Reading line is in the background at the treeline.

[/img]http://jeanne.e.palazzo.home.comcast.ne ... Camaro.jpg[/img][/img]

#40101  by n01jd1

Ok, check out the1980 Chevy Citation hatchback (My fathers) to the left of the nearly new B&O 8588 in Point of Rocks, Md in the summer of 1985.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/275 ... cMoqQzvTef

#40442  by Scrap The U34CH

Sweet car Ken,
How did those red line tires hold up while you were drag racing that plane down the runway?
I know you got pics of that!! Post em up!! :D
Ken W2KB wrote:http://jeanne.e.palazzo.home.comcast.ne ... Camaro.jpg