Railroad Forums 

• Old right-of-ways in Southern Illinois

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#230808  by emd_SD_60

Here's some pics I took of the former right of way of the ICG from Carbondale to Marion/Herrin (it splits into two directions just west of Cambria, one line goes to Herrin, the other to Marion):

http://emd_sd_60.rrpicturearchives.net/archivethumbs.aspx?id=9553

And here's some pics I took of the former ICG line from Carbondale to Murphysboro, then heads west to Gorham and to Grand Tower and finally on to Thebes. South of Gorham this was known as the "Mud line" due to it's being fairly close to the Mississippi and occasionaly flooding. The line was cut back to Grand Tower in 1973 and the rest was taken out about ten years later.

http://emd_sd_60.rrpicturearchives.net/archivethumbs.aspx?id=10172

#231507  by Nicolai3985

Very interesting pictures, Chris B. It's strange how in some pictures, you can just barely tell there was a rail line there, while in others it practically jumps out at you...!

-Nick

#234046  by emd_SD_60

Yeah, I know. The line to Murphysboro went by my grandma's house just north of Carbondale, and whenever I am there I like to explore the old R.O.W. Unfortunately it's very overgrown and I haven't been down it in a few years. :( Other than that it can be seen clear as day. Another thing of interest, last summer when they were widening New Era Road, I discovered some rails that had probably been buried near the side of the road for a good 20 years! Who knows what became of them, probably were taken in to the scrap yard up the road.

Also speaking of the R.O.W "jumping right at you", down on Route 3 on the Thebes-Grand Tower section you can see it clear as day in some spots, from south of the Big Muddy River bridge it goes between the highway and UP (former MoPac) line. To think, two railroads running side-by-side! :-)

#285350  by cifn2

I know it is that way North of Flora, not sure what line used to go up north towards Louisville, but I remember they removed most of it when I was a child. I can remember and still see the tree lines and the areas of the roads where it just isn't smooth anymore. CSX maintains a line to the Wabash Asphalt plant just north of US 45/50. I would say the spur is about 1-2 miles from their main line. They also drop cars at the grain bins sometimes on West 8th Street at a farmers grain bins