Railroad Forums 

• Old Lines in Clifton (from a newbie)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#181760  by Douglas John Bowen

Far from shunning or disdaining options for street running, NJ-ARP, unlike many other rail advocates (and even some LRT mavens), welcomes such opportunities for light rail transit. We refuse to concede that roads are for rubber tires only.

That said, we're political pragmatists and, given the chance to link two existing rail rights-of-way into one unit, NJ-ARP would more likely opt for an approach similar to what Lackawanna484 and ryanov reasonably outline.

Ramp links in Newark (and an approach addition near Branch Brook Park Station) are hardly problem-free, but they are do-able, and without the political baggage of "stealing" pavement from the automightymobile.

We're flexible. Also optimistic, as may be obvious.

#182213  by MickD

Agreed they are doable.I do think NJ Transit might balk at bringing
light rail through S.Paterson to Market St.Though Paterson could greatly
benefit from it and an intermodal Station built around Market St.Station.
The old lower station would make a great site for one.Is there still a
maintenance yard there?LR could pull right in there with a bus platforms in vicinity.That Broadway bus terminal has long outlived it's usefulness.

#182219  by Someone named Mike

I may soon be going to UMDNJ for dental school, and if I did, then I would DEFINITELY use this. But it probably wouldn't even be started by the time I'm finished. Still would be cool, though.

#182476  by BlockLine_4111

Mike -

I gave BobbyS an excellent article [dated 2 decades ago] about old rail lines in Clifton from the Shopper, IIRC. PM him to see if he can scan and send you a copy to perhaps post here. I just gave it to him back in September, IIRC.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/profile. ... ofile&u=41

Mike