Railroad Forums 

• Old cars in the NHSL Yard

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1057787  by Ken S.

Former CTA PCC EL cars. They were bought by SEPTA to maintain NHSL service when the old P&W cars were worn out and the arrival of the N-5s.
 #1057797  by Volanova

Ah, got it.

Any reason they're still around? Just eternally waiting for a never-to-come scrap yard? Or does no one in the bureaucracy know what to do with them or who's responsible for them?
 #1057810  by BuddCar711

Volanova wrote:Ah, got it.

Any reason they're still around? Just eternally waiting for a never-to-come scrap yard? Or does no one in the bureaucracy know what to do with them or who's responsible for them?
Don't tell Luther Diggs, or they'll certainly going to th scrapyard.
 #1533236  by CNJGeep

A pair was moved to North Carolina some months ago, not sure if it's the same pair
 #1533238  by septaglizzy27

CNJGeep wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:40 pm A pair was moved to North Carolina some months ago, not sure if it's the same pair
it was only one pair and it’s still there , Septa should restore it and use it for special service
 #1533282  by JeffK

septaglizzy27 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:32 pm [quqote=CNJGeep post_id=1533236 time=1581291646 user_id=3686]
Septa should restore it and use it for special service
SEPTA and words like "should" and "restore" have long been contradictory. They’ve trashed many of their cars that could have been rescued. I doubt anyone thinks they should have an in-house operating museum, but it often seems they can’t be bothered to make even minimal efforts at preservation. They've had a long history of ditching OOS rolling stock even where outside groups had expressed interest in acquiring them.
 #1533292  by mcgrath618

JeffK wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:34 pm
septaglizzy27 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:32 pm [quqote=CNJGeep post_id=1533236 time=1581291646 user_id=3686]
Septa should restore it and use it for special service
SEPTA and words like "should" and "restore" have long been contradictory. They’ve trashed many of their cars that could have been rescued. I doubt anyone thinks they should have an in-house operating museum, but it often seems they can’t be bothered to make even minimal efforts at preservation. They've had a long history of ditching OOS rolling stock even where outside groups had expressed interest in acquiring them.
Off topic, so mods feel free to remove, but are you the Jeffery K?
 #1533302  by JeffK

mcgrath618 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:17 pm Off topic, so mods feel free to remove, but are you the Jeffery K?
It’s just a coincidence of first names and last initials. And bald heads.

If I could have changed places with him, SEPTA would be a LOT different :wink:
 #1533304  by mcgrath618

JeffK wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:36 pm
mcgrath618 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:17 pm Off topic, so mods feel free to remove, but are you the Jeffery K?
It’s just a coincidence of first names and last initials. And bald heads.

If I could have changed places with him, SEPTA would be a LOT different :wink:
I would hope so.

Back on topic, how many Chicago cars are left? IIRC there were about 14, and I know 4 of them are in Windber, PA. 2 of them are at 69th Street, and I've heard rumors that there is a pair at Woodbourne for some reason.

Where are the rest? Kitchen knives?