Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #323073  by cr8250

Hi all, I am trying to find info on an area I used to live in regarding a brancline near Mansfield, Ohio. I lived in a town called Lexington, which had a B&O branchline extending south from Mansfield, through Lexington, Bellville, and Butler, Ohio. The line was taken up, I think in the late '80's, and now is a bike trail. Does anybody have specific info on this line, pictures, etc.? What industries did it serve? I tried doing some internet research, but not much info could be found. Thanks for any help.

Jeff

#324143  by shlustig

cr8250,

This was part of the original B&O mainline and went to Sandusky via Wheeling and Newark. However, Sandusky never became the major port on Lake Erie, and it was also served by the LS&MS (NYC), CS&H (PRR), and LE&W (NKP).

The B&O built a new line west from Chicago Jct. (Willard) and cobbled a new route from west from Pittsburgh using the original line to Akron, trackage rights on the CA&C (PRR) to Warwick, the CL&W to Sterling, and a new line to Chicago Jct.

The original route from Newark north was downgraded although it was kept intact to Sandusky into the 1970's, IIRC.

The remaining portion from Newark to Mt. Vernon is now operated by Ohio Central and the ORDC has recently awarded funds for upgrading.

Check with the B&O Historical Society for more detailed information.

#324270  by cr8250

Thanks for the info. I am surprised that it was considered a mainline, because I don't remember heavy traffic through there. It was only single-track, I only rember seeing/hearing a couple of trains a day. Of course, we are talking about the late '70s til 1982, when we moved. They were all relatively short trains and I only remember seeing general freight. According to the 'Tails to Trails' site in Richland County, the trail is a 19-mile section called the "Richland B&O Trail". So, I guess it went all the way down to Newark, or did it only go to Butler?

#324781  by shlustig

It went to Newark, which was the major terminal and the division HQ.

Into the 1960's, the line saw a Wheeling / Chicago psgr round-trip, 2 through freights, and a couple of local runs daily.

The westbound psgr combined with a Washington / Pittsburgh / Chicago train at Willard, but the eastbound ran as a through train from Chicago.

#329459  by Spin

That line lost it's "mainline" status in the 1890's, when the new main running through Pitsburgh and Akron was completed.

THe best resource for that line that I have found is "A historical account B & O rail lines, 1830-1989" by C.T. Winegardner. There are 19 volumes to this set, at least that's how many the Akron Public Library has. Lots of great info and pictures, but you have to dig for it.