• Official Tilton Caboose Train Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by B&Mguy

Thanks Ian,

I'm going to try to get to Tilton between 9-10. Does the train park right at the Laconia station for the lunch stop? I was thinking it would interfere with traffic if they did that.

by Mattydred

I'm at least going to try to make it to Tilton to watch the consist being made. I might even chase from Concord. I don't think I'm going to be able to do the whole day, but I still want to catch the morning switching session. Forecast for Saturday is still dry, gentlemen. Pray for sun.

Ian, I'll get in touch for best directions, and just to make sure we get to say hi.

by NHN503

There maybe a change to the schedule. I'm not sure if Hobo got a chance to come down and put their crossings in service, so the train might not get to Lakeport. We'll see.

If it makes it up to Laconia, I'm guessing that The passengers will be dropped off and then the train will be broken between the crossings, or if short enough backed north and tied down between Rt 106 and Messer St. I dunno, as I am usually on this track in my motorcar and not the train.

The Caboose Village is easy to get to. 18 Park St in Tilton if you want to Google Map it for directions.

Caboose Village

by B&Mguy

Thanks for the additional infor Ian. I wasn't aware that the hobo shut their crossing signals down for the winter. If the train does not end up going to Lakeport, will it still go to Laconia, or will it simply just run from Tilton down to Concord?

I'll introduce myself to you when I arrive tomorrow morning Ian, since I'm sure there might be another update available by then.

Thanks for keeping us all in the loop.

by NHN503

B&Mguy wrote:Thanks for the additional infor Ian. I wasn't aware that the hobo shut their crossing signals down for the winter. If the train does not end up going to Lakeport, will it still go to Laconia, or will it simply just run from Tilton down to Concord?

I'll introduce myself to you when I arrive tomorrow morning Ian, since I'm sure there might be another update available by then.

No problem.

Both NEGS and Hobo put crossings out of service in the winter if they are not used. I believe Pete said it saves like $30 a crossing a month in electricity.

If the train does not end up going to Lakeport the furthest it will go will most likely be Lochmere siding to do a run around move...unless its done at Northfield siding.

by wog820

Be sure to introduce your selfs over @ the 'Cold Harbor" or at the B&A C-63(behind boxcar). I'm heading there in a few :-D I'll be there tonite around 8:00pm :wink:

by b&m 1566

Ian MacMillan wrote:
B&Mguy wrote:Thanks for the additional infor Ian. I wasn't aware that the hobo shut their crossing signals down for the winter. If the train does not end up going to Lakeport, will it still go to Laconia, or will it simply just run from Tilton down to Concord?

No problem.

Both NEGS and Hobo put crossings out of service in the winter if they are not used. I believe Pete said it saves like $30 a crossing a month in electricity.

If the train does not end up going to Lakeport the furthest it will go will most likely be Lochmere siding to do a run around move...unless its done at Northfield siding.
Can't the crossings be flagged? I know it’s a different railroad but the CSRR does it all the time when they go to Redstone. The 4 or 5 crossings in route to Redstone were last activated in 2005 since then they just find it to be easier to flag them rather than turning them on and off.

by NHN503

b&m 1566 wrote: Can't the crossings be flagged? I know it’s a different railroad but the CSRR does it all the time when they go to Redstone. The 4 or 5 crossings in route to Redstone were last activated in 2005 since then they just find it to be easier to flag them rather than turning them on and off.
Since this is a "different" railroad no. Hobo has controlling authority, so even though yes they can be physically flagged, technically the entire crossing, including the rail is "out of service", so it is not supposed to be crossed. At least thats how I see it.

Northbound crew is going to be departing Concord a little later. 0830 instead of the normal 0700.

by Mattydred

Wow.

What can I say? I had such a great time. The weather was perfect, everyone was friendly, I saw some really unique rolling stock. You couldn't ask for more, really. The folks at NEGS did an outstanding job moving the consist and they were very railfan-tolerant.

Thanks to Ian for letting me tag along, you are the Train-Chaser Elite. It was great to meet you and B&Mguy as well. I've got some decent stills that I'll post sometime later this weekend on NERail. Got some nice video too on my VHS cam (Someday I'll move out of the dark ages). Hey! I got a sunburn too! How's that for April?

Cheers.

by B&Mguy

Yeah, It was a great day yesterday, and well worth the drive. It was great meeting meeting you both, Ian and Matt (I got a little sunburned too by the way) The NEGS did do an excellent job, and it was a great chase. I'm already looking forward to chasing the longer trains this summer!

by wog820

I wonder what happened to Bernie? :( Ian, I like to see the picture you took from the bridge in Concord. :P

by NHN503

I'm guessing Bernie was unable to make it due to scheduling rides over. I'm looking forward to checking out everyones photos and video.

I'm fried from Saturday!

Ditch the VHS!

by B&Mguy

Not to get too far ahead, but I'm wondering about the upcoming trips on the 17th and 18th. Dose that go from Tilton-Lincoln on Saturday then back to Tilton on Sunday? I'm thinking of making a weekend out of the chase, and was hoping to get a few details early. Thanks for any info.

by NHN503

B&Mguy wrote:upcoming trips on the 17th and 18th. Dose that go from Tilton-Lincoln on Saturday then back to Tilton on Sunday?
Yes.