Railroad Forums 

• Official "Maple Leaf" Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1114081  by markhb

25Hz wrote:Does that mean the train cars will turn into pumpkins at the changeover hour? And the loco into a mouse?
No, but any CSX equipment will magically become bright orange Turbos.
 #1114135  by 25Hz

markhb wrote:
25Hz wrote:Does that mean the train cars will turn into pumpkins at the changeover hour? And the loco into a mouse?
No, but any CSX equipment will magically become bright orange Turbos.
 #1176448  by jstolberg

The RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) have arrested two people in connection with a homegrown terror plot to derail a New York-to-Toronto Via Rail passenger train on the Canadian side of the border.

Assistant RCMP Commissioner James Malizia, the officer in charge of federal policing operations, said the alleged plot was “al Qaeda-supported.”
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/two-arrest ... -1.1248858
 #1176522  by jstolberg

The key word here is DERAIL. Passenger screening and baggage screening don't protect against derailments. Al Qaeda seems to have figured that out. The Mounties know it too.
 #1176527  by NH2060

And once again Canada saves the day! How lucky we to have neighbors like them. Such a shame they never seem to get the proper credit and respect they deserve for when they do.
 #1176945  by hi55us

NH2060 wrote:And once again Canada saves the day! How lucky we to have neighbors like them. Such a shame they never seem to get the proper credit and respect they deserve for when they do.
Have you seen the movie Argo? Big tribute to strong Canadian-American relations.

Good to see that this threat has been eliminated. I think the "invisible" security at amtrak is a great strength, terrorists don't know the policies and procedures, since the general public largely does not know how Amtrak PD works (as opposed to the TSA, which is mainly front line security, that is easier to work around).
 #1176956  by Greg Moore

hi55us wrote:
NH2060 wrote:And once again Canada saves the day! How lucky we to have neighbors like them. Such a shame they never seem to get the proper credit and respect they deserve for when they do.
Have you seen the movie Argo? Big tribute to strong Canadian-American relations.

Good to see that this threat has been eliminated. I think the "invisible" security at amtrak is a great strength, terrorists don't know the policies and procedures, since the general public largely does not know how Amtrak PD works (as opposed to the TSA, which is mainly front line security, that is easier to work around).
As much as I'm no fan of the TSA, do keep in mind that their security is deeper than just the theater at the front of the terminal.

That said, I still prefer Amtrak. And maintain the two biggest differences since 9/11 for air travel is the addition of the armored cockpit door, and passengers who WILL stop any attempts.
 #1177022  by NH2060

hi55us wrote:Have you seen the movie Argo? Big tribute to strong Canadian-American relations.
Indeed I have and I thought it deserved every award it won (yes it tended to portray Hollywood as the hero, but Canada's role did not go unrecognized, especially at the end).

And I completely agree regarding the Amtrak PD keeping their presence and policies, etc. "hush hush". Makes it that much harder for the perps.
 #1177066  by MACTRAXX

NH2060 wrote:apparently they planned to derail it on the bridge at Niagara Falls http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1325076
NH2060 and Everyone: This is the first news that I have read showing exactly where these perpetrators were going to attempt to
derail Amtrak's Maple Leaf...at the Whirlpool Bridge of all places...

As some know with both US CBP and the CBSA present at that bridge security is tight there and now probably even more so with
the publicity surrounding this plot...

This shows the co-operation between US and Canadian authorities when situations like this happen...good to see here...

MACTRAXX
 #1231200  by NS VIA FAN

I see that VIA now has the following boarding procedure in place for the Maple Leaf (even for those travelling within Canada......Something not required on other VIA trains.)

New boarding procedures: ID requirements for boarding train 97 (Toronto - Niagara Falls - New York)

If you are travelling to a city located in Canada, you must have in your possession a valid VIA Rail ticket and:
• One (1) piece of valid government-issued identification with photograph, showing your name and date of birth.
OR
• Two (2) pieces of valid government-issued identification without photograph, showing the same name and your date of birth on at least one of the two pieces of ID.
Travellers may be subject to random ID verifications on board.

Also.....VIA has announced that next weekend (Nov30/Dec1) trains #97 & #98 The Maple Leaf will originate and terminate in Oakville ON and passengers bused the 38 km between there and Toronto Union Station. It should be a fairly quick bus run via the Queen Elizabeth Way and the Gardiner Expressway with minimal delay.

There’s a bridge being removed over the weekend near Union Station and by originating/terminating at Oakville, it keeps the equipment accessible to the TMC (Toronto Maintenance Centre) for overnight servicing.