• Official Naugatuck Railroad thread (NAUG/RMNE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by H.F.Malone

Jay, we know YOU know.

The STRR hand-off was carefully orchestrated and scheduled. 105-ton transformers deserve only the best handling!

The Waterbury Beavs are spreadin' out-- Beav Condos can now be seen on the scenic banks of the Naugatuck River between WBY and Thomaston. No more natural preditors (wolves and humans) to cut into their populations-- the wolves are all gone and who traps beaver for furs anymore? Today's gals just aren't interested in beavers or any furs, too politically-incorrect.

(Now, was that carefully done, or what?)

:))

by Stag Hound

I just shake my head and smile. On a related note, the Big G's timing was once again perfect, as Extra 2203 had just arrived at CPBK, as this was the designated spot for the workers of the world to...you know...UNITE!
  by CannaScrews

Stag Hound wrote:Workers of the world to...you know...UNITE!
Did you want fries with that? No, I have a headache.

Let's see - "If I had a hammer......"

or is it Coom-bye-yah?

Where did I leave that sickle.

Each according to his abilities, each according to his needs.
  by H.F.Malone

So, Stag, 'twas you who graced us with the maps of Mother Russia?? Very neat, those. Glad you liked the 3-D logo.

Although I'd rather have a Russian Decapod....

All Hail Marx and Lennon!!! (Groucho and John, that is)
  by CannaScrews

Don't crush that dwarf,
Hand me the pliers.

by Otto Vondrak

This is what happens when you stay in the caboose with the stove fired up without cracking the windows for ventilation...

-otto-

by CannaScrews

Well, it depends on the stove - coal [your soft & hard varieties, black or brown], your oil [white water, diesel], your wood [too many to name], your dung stove[cow pie, moose turd pie or the ultimate labrador].

And it also depends on the caboose, O&W, NYC or LIRR.

Hey - did you notice the resemblance betwee H.F. & Marx? Just add eyebrows & a 'stash to H.F. & voila!

by shadyjay

Yeah, Otto, I'd have to agree on the caboose stove comment, 'cause I'm lost and gone. Guess its one of those things that if you weren't there, you'd have no clue.

Doesn't surprise me though with this gang :wink:
  by CannaScrews

shadyjay wrote:Yeah, Otto, I'd have to agree on the caboose stove comment, 'cause I'm lost and gone. Guess its one of those things that if you weren't there, you'd have no clue.

Doesn't surprise me though with this gang :wink:
Just a sign on the past times. Different strokes for different folks.

Us old farts gotta reminesce somewhere. Beats trying to spit into a pot, since chewing tobacco is not a CVRA approved activity.

You probably don't want to know about the Crown Vic dashboard on New Year's Day - details, details.

Image .. Image ..Image

by edbac333

I just read on the "CTShortlines" yahoo group a posting about a movement of RMNE equipment from Old Saybrook to Thomaston on this Saturday(3/8).Any info on this?Is it weather dependent?
Obviously, I would love to watch this pass by my home turf in Derby.
Thanks,
Ed Baclawski
  by H.F.Malone

Oh, wow, what time did they say this was gonna happen? I'd love to get some pics of it, rain or not. Sure hope it's during the daytime. Let us all know, please.

by edbac333

Okay,ummm,since I know Mr.Malone would be one of those who would know exactly when such a move,if there is one,would occur,and the reply was worded in the way it was,did I do something wrong by posting what I did? I'm only asking for my own education and understanding. Feel free to hammer me with a PM if I deserve it.
Thanks,
Ed
  by H.F.Malone

No, no hammering, it's certainly not deserved for asking an innocent question.
  by NaugMOW

On April 26th and 27th , the Naugatuck Railroad (operating subsidy of the Railroad Museum of New England) will be holding a track building weekend. We are looking to expand the capacity of our yard in Thomaston, Connecticut to accommodate additional Museum equipment being moved from Old Saybrook. The track being constructed is adjacent to our recently completed shop building. An excellent write up about the shop and yard project with photographs can be found here:

http://www.rypn.org/RyPN/articles/viewa ... 230436.txt

To make this project a success, we are looking to appeal to both our existing members, as well as new people who may want to check out what we are all about. The event will be taking place from 9am-5pm on both Saturday and Sunday and lunch will be provided on both days.

If you have ever been curious about getting involved in 'real' railroading, this is an excellent opportunity. There is a definite level of satisfaction in working with a team constructing something that actual trains run on. If you ask most people around, it beats building models in the basement by yourself!

For the construction, we will use a combination of "classic" hand track tools and automated track machines, including a tamper, tie crane, boom truck, hy-rail track truck, and possibly more depending on crew size. All volunteers will be required to wear appropriate protective clothing, including long pants, work boots, gloves, hard hat, as well as ear and eye protection. RMNE will provide ear protection and safety glasses for those who do not have them. RMNE Members are covered under liability insurance;
non-members will be required to sign a release of liability. While we maintain an excellent safety record, this is real railroading and things could possibly happen. A Museum membership costs $30 per year and gives you access to Museum facilities and unlimited rides on regularly scheduled trains.

If you are interested in attending, please contact me via the 'Email' button below. (I don't want to post my address due to spam). We must know ahead of time if you plan to attend as we will need to know, among other things, how many people to provide lunch for.

RMNE provides excellent opportunities to get involved in a real, working railroad, from restoring historic equipment to working on train crews.

This is a great chance to get involved and we hope to see you there!