Railroad Forums 

• odd ball GP35 found on e-bay.

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#278138  by scharnhorst

I know that this should be in the model railroad section of the forms but I'm looking for a few opnions on this one.

Are there any exsamples of any deturbocharged GP35's around? I seem to be in a rut wih a model that I got off e-bay that was changed. I know it's a GP35 from the body style and fans. The thing that it most noteable is the large single stack has been removed and 2 tall stacks have been glued on eather side of the D/B Fan. Any ideas as to what such a unit would be refered to and or derated to in Horse Power?

#278212  by Steve F45

why would they want to rebuild it without the turbo? Doesn't make sense to me.

#278262  by Allen Hazen

Turbochargers are high-maintenance items, and for secondary service (local freight, switching, branch lines) the 2000hp you can get out of a Roots-blown (non-turbo) E.M.D. (possibly replacing the 567 power assemblies with 645 cylinder/piston units on the original engine frame) is enough. Railroads started de-turbo-ing their turbocharged 567 units very early: I think Penn Central did some ex-NYC GP-20 around 1970 (maintaining the original horsepower by using 645 power assemblies).
Links to photos are problematic on my computer, so I don't know if it's one of the ones U-Haul gave, but at least one good looking de-turboed ex-Conrail GP-35 works-- in a Reading-inspired color scheme-- for the Housatonic Railroad in western Connecticut and Massachusetts. I saw it at their Cornwall (CT) engine terminal a few months ago.

#278347  by scharnhorst

thanks for the pics you gave me an idea on something that I should try its half done for me. Now all I got to do is get a paper air filter box and I know where I can get one.

Yes Penn Central deturboed all the Ex NYC GP20's I do beleve the progam keeped going under Conrail after the PC was eaten up by them. I did deturbo charge 3 N Scale GP 20's its not hard to do all you need to do is pop off the large stack and put an Air Filter box in its place to cover the hole and add 2 small exsaust stacks on the long hood. takes not more than a 2 minuets to do.

#278367  by USRailFan

2005Vdub wrote:why would they want to rebuild it without the turbo? Doesn't make sense to me.
IIRC, didn't Conrail strip out the turboed 567s from some GP35s, and replace them with deturboed 645s, making them into pseudo-GP38s?

#278611  by trainiac

IIRC, didn't Conrail strip out the turboed 567s from some GP35s, and replace them with deturboed 645s, making them into pseudo-GP38s?
GP35 to GP38-series conversions are commonplace on a number of roads, and it doesn't involve replacing the prime mover--it suffices to replace the turbo with a Roots blower and install 645 power assemblies in the 567 block. Even more common is the removal of the turbo from 40- and 50-series units to bring them to 38-series specs. With less horsepower, high-speed lugging capacity is reduced, but the units load faster and they're less expensive to maintain. The 2000-horsepower roots-blown 645 has long been known as a very reliable and maintenance-friendly powerplant.

#278784  by BlackDog

Railroad I used to work for got 5 GP40's converted to 38's. I wasn't too impressed with them as compared to origional 38's. Didn't pull very well, blew oil all over the place. NRE rebuilds built on the cheap. Kept the 40's radiators but removed the middle fan.

#278975  by dansapo

EMD did build a non turbo charged unit .The GP-28 it didnt sell to well.(under 30 units built) IC and Mopac bought them. From what I've read about the gp35.The turbos were its downfall.Its 567 powerplant was at its limits and couldnt handle the stress.So many class 1's retired them.Very few unrebuilt gp35's remain(WLE still has them) Heres link to a gp28. :-) Dan S. http://tinyurl.com/pukd5

#279003  by USRailFan

dansapo wrote:EMD did build a non turbo charged unit .The GP-28 it didnt sell to well.(under 30 units built) IC and Mopac bought them.
Then how come BNSF alone has 30 GP28M and GP28Ps?

#279033  by Jtgshu

the BNSF GP28's weren't sold as GP28's from EMD, but were rebuilt from GP30's and GP35's. Its good to see at least the shell of the GP30 still plying the rails - they are really cool, one of my favorites from EMD!

#279039  by USRailFan

Jtgshu wrote:the BNSF GP28's weren't sold as GP28's from EMD, but were rebuilt from GP30's and GP35's.
Uh? Wasn't that the GP39E/M/V?

#279103  by dansapo

To answer the question about the BN/BNSF GP28/GP39. The gp28's were rebuilt from GP9'S and GP18's. M-K made new sheet metal for the units and the end result looking like a GP38 but shorter.The GP39'S Were rebuilt from GP30's and GP35's.They rebuilt in the late 80's early 90's. Some of them retained the 36"center fan while others lost them.

#279107  by Jtgshu

DOH - got my 29's and 39's confused!!!!!!

:-) Still, its always great to see old units still plying the rails - sometimes newer ISN'T better!

#279154  by dansapo

A couple of years back Diesel Era did a article on the GP39M rebuilds.