Railroad Forums 

• Obscure Facts about MBTA

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1633213  by Pensyfan19

Hello all;

I know that it has been some time since I have posted on this forum, but I am currently in the midst of working on a massive project that covers obscure facts about various northeast commuter railroads, ranging from leased engines and odd consists to special trains and overlooked historic events. Therefore, it would be greatly appreciated if you could share any obscure facts about MBTA's commuter rail division that you can think of so that I can add as much info as I can to this project. Info must be limited to any time after the formation of said commuter railroad, and does not include any info about its predecessors. Thank you for your help.
 #1633216  by BandA

What is the official start date for Commuter Rail? 1971 for north side? And when did Penn Central? Conrail? turn south side service over to the MBTA's contractor B&M?
 #1633225  by R36 Combine Coach

The start of the subsidy era under MBTA would be January 1965. (1/18/65 per NETransit service history for B&M per terms of December 14, 1964 subsidy agreement) Major cuts were made in 1965. Subsidy for New Haven lines followed on 7/28/65, the agreement became effective with the April 24, 1966 schedule. Framingham subsidy
followed in 1973 when the MBTA acquired most PC trackage in the metropolitan region.

B&M took over south side commuter lines from Conrail on March 12, 1977 (per NETransit) long before Conrail was directed by Congress to end contract passenger services by January 1, 1983.
 #1633233  by Arborwayfan

Amtrak locomotives pulling commuter rail trains, roughly winter or summer of 1997 obscure enough? I have a nice picture of one at Roslindale Village station.
 #1633422  by R36 Combine Coach

A complete listing of leased equipment is in the NETransit roster.

Riverworks station is another historical oddity: a rare employee only scheduled stop not serving railroad
employees, but a major factory (GE Aviation) and was completely absent from public timetables for years.

MBTA is home to the last F40s built: three built by MK in 1993, closing out a 17 year production run that began
at EMD in 1976.
 #1633431  by BandA

Was Riverworks set up before the MBTA got involved? So it was a B&M decision?
Wasn't there a stop in Woburn for some warehouse or something?
 #1633492  by arthur d.

BandA wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:00 pm Was Riverworks set up before the MBTA got involved? So it was a B&M decision?
Wasn't there a stop in Woburn for some warehouse or something?
I went through my ETT's as far back as 1922. There was a "West Lynn" listed in the B&M timetables, @ .70 miles from "Lynn". Could this have become Riverworks?
 #1633497  by jaymac

Wikipedia has a number of hits for Thomson-Houston and GE in Lynn, including some Red-scare attention from Sen. Joseph McCarthy, R-Wisc, mebbe as part of a union-busting attempt. There's also a Wiki entry for the Saugus River that includes a portion of an older topo with sidings NW off the Eastern Division main. Given service for workers to other defense operations in WWs I and II, it would be surprising if Lynn GE didn't have the same.
 #1633515  by caduceus

arthur d. wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:18 am I went through my ETT's as far back as 1922. There was a "West Lynn" listed in the B&M timetables, @ .70 miles from "Lynn". Could this have become Riverworks?
I believe that refers to the West Lynn section that was further north, just after the Saugus Branch Junction at Commercial Street. Riverworks is closer to a mile and a half from Lynn Station.
 #1634232  by mbrproductions

Original F40PH-2s operating on the new old colony lines?
I believe I remember seeing some pictures taken in the late 90s of original F40PH locomotives running on the Old Colony Lines, after reading your comment, I went on rrpicturearchives.net and tried to find them again, but I guess the photos must have been from a different website because I could not find a single picture of an F40PH on the Old Colony, even after going through the entire collection of photos with MBTA F40s. Anyone here who could provide an image depicting this, or at least a link to it, would be greatly appreciated.