Railroad Forums 

• NYSW Ex-Cartier Alcos in Binghamton!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#91952  by ANDY117

Why are there Cartier Mining MLW C628's in binghamton? Are these property of NYSW? Also, what trains operate in the Binghamton Area, and at what times.

#91962  by scottychaos

(Otto, is this allowed?
sorry..couldnt resist! :wink: :P )

Andy,
the big Alcos and MLW's are former Cartier Mining units, from Canada.
they are being leased by the Susquehanna.
they have been stored in Cohocton, NY for the last few years.

I cant tell you what *times* trains operate, but you can find trains belonging to Susquehanna, Norfolk Southern, and Canadian Pacific running through Binghamton.
(some would say Delaware & Hudson trains are still operating, but personally I consider them CP trains and not D&H..thats a matter of speculation, the exact status of the D&H is nebulous..)

Binghamton has an amazing railroad history..
the D&H was the main railfan favorite in town for the last 150 years or so, also the Erie and DL&W were local roads.
The Susquehanna is the oldest local railroad.
so those 4 railroads are the "originals" in town.

Erie
DL&W (Delaware, Lackawanna & Western. called "Lackawanna" for short)
Susquehanna (NYSW)
D&H

in 1960 the Erie and the DL&W merged to form Erie Lackawanna,
and the EL became part of Conrail in 1976.
Conrail operated until 1999, when it was taken over by Norfolk Southern and CSX. (the former Conrail in the southern tier is all NS now..no CSX runs in the neighborhood)

CP also has traffic rights on the "Souther Tier Main"..
which is the original Erie.
D&H originally had traffic rights to run to Buffalo from binghamton on the Erie.
those rights stayed with the Erie-Lackawanna,
they remained when the Souther Tier main became Conrail,
and today, Canadian pacific, which took over the D&H) STILL has the rights with NS!
today, there are talks going on that will probably eliminate CP trains on the Southern Tier main east of Binghamton, but CP will still remain on the original D&H trackage..

The D&H/CP east binghamton yard was originally DL&W..
even though that yard was EL, it is not NS today..

Today, you have NS on the former Conrail (Erie/Lackawanna) routes.
Susquehanna still running on her ancestral track.
and Canadian Pacific operating the former D&H.
still a lot going on in Binghamton!

and amazingly, STILL Alcos in town! :P
you are lucky to live down there..
Binghamton has been a railfan mecca basically forever..

Scot

#91971  by cjvrr

Just a minor correction, the NYS&W gained access to Binghamton in the early 1980s when they got an agreement for haulage rights between Binghamton and North Jersey. There corporate owner, the Delaware Otsego, purchased from Conrail in the late 1970's the former DL&W lines that ran north from Binghamton to Chenango Forks where they split to go to Syracuse and Utica. The DO didn't purchase the NYS&W until 1980 or 1981. At that time the NYS&W only travelled between Jersey City and Butler, about 36 miles total.

Historically, the furthest north and west the NYS&W ever got originally was the Wilkes Barre area of PA through a lease / ownership of the Wilkes Barre & Eastern Railway. The NYS&W also owned track connected to other rail lines, but not their own in the Scraton - Wilkes Barre area to access coal mines they owned or service. That coal originally went to the Wilkes Barre and Eastern, but once the Erie took over the NYS&W it all went via the Erie. The NYS&W gained independence from the Erie around 1939 but by that time the WB&E had no traffic and light bridge loadings so it was abandoned.

I have seen a photo of an NYS&W camelback steam engine in Binghamton but this was taken while the NYS&W was under Erie control, so engines were commonly exchanged between the two railroads.

Chris

#91975  by ANDY117

Sorry, i was just wondering what ones go through Endicott. I know 167 goes to Chicago at night, it used to go by when i was out at CAP. now, we're at the Psych Center, above the Yard! Now i will have to take pictures of those alcos! Also, why are there a lot of CN units coming through here? are they on a run-through, or is NS using them as power.

#92113  by cjvrr

Andy,

Try subscribing to this YahooGroup;

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/B ... aRailfans/

Or this one;

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dandh/

Most train movements and schedules are posted on this lists for any trains into or out of Binghamton.

CP (or the D&H) gave up the trackage rights they had west of Binghamton in a deal struck with NS. The CN units were run-through power on a pair of NS trains. I am unsure how much non-NS equipment goes west of Binghamton as a result of that deal but the CN run though power was rumored to be ending with the deal. From what I understood it was going to be only NS west of Bingo.

Chris

#92122  by ANDY117

Im gonna miss those 4 CP SD40-2 Consists heading through endicott... Ill be heading to CAP tonight. Ill tell you all what's down there tonight.

#92235  by ANDY117

Onthe way over the yard, there was NS power next to the yard office. a lone Dash 9 trundled by beneath me. By the way, what are those blue lights on the side, above the front truck? 167 was nowhere in sight. On the way home, a CP was coming off the wye, with none other than A NJT TGIV car on a flat behind the power!

#92375  by ANDY117

You couldn't really see what was next to the engine house. 78 was probably there.

Hi

#92553  by thebigham

The NYS&W has five of the exCartier units now.

Chris

#92617  by ANDY117

Do hey have ditch lights? I haven't seen any in the pictures.

#92686  by ANDY117

I'm heading to CAP tomorrow to get CPR and AED training. ill look for the alcos. tell you alll what's going on. By the way, what happened to the old roundhouse on the hill? was there a turntable nearby?

#93155  by ANDY117

Ive seen 41, 45, and 78 so far