Railroad Forums 

• NYSW B23-7 2300

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#290027  by Steve F45

Sully, what was it coupled too? Debris cars or spine cars? If spine, its probably to long to keep in the intermodel yard so they pull it as far as they can.

#290029  by sullivan1985

2005Vdub wrote:Sully, what was it coupled too? Debris cars or spine cars? If spine, its probably to long to keep in the intermodel yard so they pull it as far as they can.
Coupled to nothing. It was lite.

#290167  by cjvrr

Sully,

I didn't look at the photo, but there is a debris loading facility at that location. It is a trailing point switch if coming from Little Ferry Yard and only a few cars fit on the stub. I have seen a former P&W engine there many times when travelling down Route 1&9. The unit sits there to switch as needed.

Chris

#290350  by High Iron Photography

nice pic. that locomotive is in good shape, hopefully it will get the black and yellow someday.
 #290411  by N_DL640A

They say that all of the 'keepers' -i.e. locos that are going to be around for a while- will get yellow and black, but they don't say when...

#290499  by amoreho1

i'd say 2300 and 3042 will be around for a while

#290643  by washingtonsecondary

It's ironic in a way that the NYS&W ends up with a former P&W unit, while P&W ended up with the 4 B40's.

hi

#290761  by thebigham

Where is Fairview tunnel?

Chris

#290782  by cjvrr

Chris,

Its in Fairview.... :wink:

Seriously its the western portal of the NYS&Ws tunnel to Edgewater. South of Ridgefield but north of North Bergen. If you are on Route 1&9 headed south you go up on a bridge over the tracks. A cemetary is to your left. This customer and the remains of the Edgewater Branch are to your right.

Chris

#290845  by Steve F45

i drove past today headed to 69th street yard. The p&w unit is way down the line now, nowhere near the tunnel.

I was thinking about this post while at work. I've noticed that on the east end of the tunnel there is a construction company cleaning up there lot and removing all there equipment. I wonder if NYSW would be able to buy the land back and use it as a debris facility? Would be nice to see them run through tunnel.

#291164  by keiffer

Hey Guys,
Im trying to pinpoint the east end of the Edgewater tunnel. But I'm not having any lucky locating it using Google Earth. As you can see I've marked the west end. Could someone please point out the East end?

Thanks in advance!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/ ... m/edge.jpg

#291709  by cjvrr

Could someone please point out the East end?
If you look at the photo imagine a straight line to the east. The long building slightly clockwise of the north south axis on the west side of new River Road is just south of the tunnel. The tunnel mouth is directly below the kink in the old road, just northwest of that building.

Last time I was down there it was not visible from new River Road.

2005Vdub,
No reason to have a debris facility that far east. Its tough to get trucks there and most of the nearby buildings are less than 10 years old. Many sites along River Road had piles of soil placed on them in the 1990's for many years to compact the soil underneath. Once the compaction meets an acceptable level construction would take place. I was deeply involved with the realignment project of River Road for Bergen County from 1993-1996 and that was done to quite a few sites. There had been rail in the tunnel but nothing east of the east portal by 1995. Hess's gasoline pipeline also runs through that tunnel. So access is maintained for them.

Last I had seen, now this goes back to 1996, a gas station was to have been built adjacent to River Road at the mouth of the tunnel.

Chris

#291756  by Steve F45

the gas station is just to the north. Where old river road and river rd meet.