• NYGL update?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by wolfboy8171981

Orginally there was hope that both Erie 436 and EL/NJDOT 3372 would move to Boonton together from Garfield. We were given information that a certain railroad would help make this move happen. When they failed to return our calls in a timely manner, we had to take action to secure the 436 would make it in time for our Easter trains. Once the alignment control couplers are installed, and the unit is inspected by NS, the 436 should move. We have been told that the NYGL will fire one of the GP9's up to make the move for us, even though there is no freight in the pipeline. Once in Ringoes, we will have to change all the batteries just to fire the unit up. Some other odds and ends will be needed to get the unit in running order. We're still hopeful that #436 will be ready in time for March 30th, but realistly were shooting for Memorial Day Weekend, our opening weekend.
  by blockline4180

northjerseybuff wrote:will the 3372 be moved as well?

It is suppose to go to Boonton, when I have no clue!!!

It was supposed to go last Spring....With URHS, you just don't know!!!!
  by Ken W2KB

blockline4180 wrote:
northjerseybuff wrote:will the 3372 be moved as well?

It is suppose to go to Boonton, when I have no clue!!!

It was supposed to go last Spring....With URHS, you just don't know!!!!
Delay not the result of URHS inaction. See the discussion about the 436, keeping in mind also that both engines need to be moved to the interchange track section from the yard before they could be moved to any other location. Brake tests and self-aligning couplers are the minimum necessay for movement. The brake test can be costly if repairs needed, and acquiring and installing the couplers is costly. URHS income has fallen significantly due to the economy - far fewer charters, and railroad prohibiltions/requirements/insurance on special trains, private cars, etc. make running excursions (other than NJT equipment on NJT trackage) problematic. Even the latter is problematic when Meadowlands service is operated since crews and equipmemnt are needed for that service and is not available for charter trains. Plus, of course, difficult to get people to ride a special on equipment and over routes they could ride on a regullar NJT train.
  by Hawaiitiki

This railroad has risen from the ashes a few times in my lifetime. I remember when I was a kid my dad showing me articles in the Record how Garfield was finally going to tear up the tracks in the early 90's. Lets just hope when the housing market picks up again, this railroad remains a viable option for hauling construction debris.
  by PVRX1

NYGL sometime in the next week or two will be repostting 436 so that BRRHT mechanics can install self alignment couplers, some prep work, and additional inspection on the unit. This move will likely be done the same day that inbound (expected) freight cars arrive. Once 436 is ready for movement, NYGL will haul her out to the NS interchange.

URHS 436 and 3372 were originally slated for movement via Morristown & Erie Railway from Passaic yard to Boonton. 3372 will probably make it to Boonton eventually.

BRRHT is interested in having a few diverse locomotives on line to "mix" things up and give customers and fans a variety. We had a succesful first year of operation, and are motivated to build on and evolve our normal ops.
  by dano23

The 1268 is blocking everything in so most likely the unit to reposition everything. The 436 is sandwiched in by the FA which will have to be moved out of the way to get to the 436. No inbounds on the interchange in Garfield as of noon today.
  by kamerad47

Passed by there today they move 436 over to the front of the building & put that old alco inside & also they got a car delivered a TTX flat car with a old caboose wheels & trucks on it. I didn't have my camera maybe if someone goes by there they can get some pics?
  by waldwickrailfan

Any news of when the 436 will be moved out on the interchange?
  by PVRX1

We have to install alignment control couplers and related hardware, plus a few odds and ends before we can interchanging it. Guestimate would be no earlier than three weeks assuming material arrives, work is completed, interchange inspection is made, etc etc. I will advise as we get closer.
  by dano23

1267 is coupled up to the bay window caboose with the 436 behind it sitting outside the shed today while the 1268 and the FA are inside. There were also quite a few dump trucks lined up outside but not sure if it has anything to do with anything. Also on the not sure front, there were NJT people walking down the interchange track today in Garfield. Could be random and not related as I only noted it while crossing.
  by kamerad47

Those trucks must have dump loads of dirt & junk in the yard , maybe we will see some gondolas ?? Who owns that caboose on the TTX flat car???
  by kamerad47

Passed by there today , There was someone working on 436 they had the rear coupler off the loco !!
  by blockline4180

The U34CH will probably be the next to move, however that may not be until the summer from what I was told... Also,was told it needs a new turbo since the stack wasn't capped over the last few years....Anyone have a lot of money they can spend???
  by Steve F45

blockline4180 wrote:The U34CH will probably be the next to move, however that may not be until the summer from what I was told... Also,was told it needs a new turbo since the stack wasn't capped over the last few years....Anyone have a lot of money they can spend???
wow, nygl should definitely pony up the money for there lack of responsibility.
  by blockline4180

Steve F45 wrote:
blockline4180 wrote:The U34CH will probably be the next to move, however that may not be until the summer from what I was told... Also,was told it needs a new turbo since the stack wasn't capped over the last few years....Anyone have a lot of money they can spend???
wow, nygl should definitely pony up the money for there lack of responsibility.
Yeah, but who knows!! Jimmy Wilson seems to be MIA over the past few years.... I have heard nothing about the Erie E8 either, and afaik, it just sits in Port Jervis with the other coaches, and has not turned a wheel in more then 2 years.