• NYGL update?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by dano23

They're pretty much shut down on both ends. The garbage transload in Passaic is shut down and outside of that Atlantic Coast Fibers is the sole on-line customer and isn't using rail (line doesn't go above Market St any more.) There is a string of gons stored in the yard above Monroe Street but thats about it. The rest of the power is still sitting fenced in and can easily be seen from the streets. The U34CH is supposed to at some point move to the URHS yard in Boonton, and the Erie SW9 is slated to move to Lackawaxen so at some point there may be a little activity.

The lease to the CNY of the Southern Tier prohibits passenger trains, so that possibly is the reason why nothing ever panned out up in Port Jervis.
  by ladder2

Thanks for the update, I don't get down to that area much anymore, but had not seen any news about the Passaic area, thus my question.
  by kamerad47

You would think ACF is perfect RR customer ? Recycled cardboard in high cube Boxcars ? Nope Everything goes over seas in containers (china) But that yard is perfect for some kind of transload facility???
  by Otto Vondrak

dano23 wrote:The lease to the CNY of the Southern Tier prohibits passenger trains,
My understanding was the lease prohibits regular passenger service, but not the occasional excursion, but that detail is neither here nor there at this point.

Too bad about the Passaic Branch, at least I have my memories!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ottomatic77/4306775821

-otto-
  by dano23

You can still get that shot today as the power is in the same position.

And yes you are correct you can operate a passenger train, but you need $100 million in liability and cant operate faster than 25mph per the lease.
  by kamerad47

I passed by there today & 1267 was moving those old NYGL boxcars around !!!!! I went up by the interchange there was a rail (RB)boxcar on the rails don't know who put it there??? It was the same crew that always runs it.
  by blockline4180

kamerad47 wrote:I passed by there today & 1267 was moving those old NYGL boxcars around !!!!! I went up by the interchange there was a rail (RB)boxcar on the rails don't know who put it there??? It was the same crew that always runs it.
I think ACF is still a customer, even if it is sporadic at best!
  by chuxter26

For the record-that was a carload of tomato paste.............
  by frank754

For any vintage-era folks, don't forget the collection of Passaic images on rr-fallenflags.org

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/bldg/passaic.html

My parents and I happened to be driving through on the last day of service with the train on Main St., and a big crowd of people. We were also regular customers at the Botany 500 outlet store just north of town. I know the city hated the downtown alignment for years and were itching to get rid of it, but it added so much character to Passaic. But even if they did get rid of it, the other big mistake was tearing out the DL&W line through Marshall St Paterson and to Totowa and Mountain View, even when the I-80 folks said they could make provision for a track through there. If that had been kept up, Conrail may not have torn up the entire cutoff from Pt. Morris to Slateford Junction. It's all connected.
  by kamerad47

chuxter , who was that car for ??
  by chuxter26

The car was billed to a trucking co. in Passaic......
  by kamerad47

There is a wharehouse next to ACF that has a siding????? Alot trucks unload & load there Maybe??
  by dano23

Railbox boxcar was still up at the interchange at 1100 this morning. 2 of the NYGL boxcars are sitting on the lead to Atlantic Coast just above South St. There is a large metal plate laying over the siding into Atlantic Coast that would have to be moved if they are going to use those cars.
  by kamerad47

I passed by there today ,they are going to fix the crossing on south st. signs are up (around 8/1 ) They also are loading gondola's in the building (maybe contaminated dirt? ) 2 loaded were hooked up to the loco in front of the building. Can't get any straight info on this RR?????? I hope something picks up for this shortline , I love to watch the loco & cars run down the middle of the street to the interchange!!! it's the last one around here that does some street runing!!!!
  by RAHWAYVALLEY

The NY&GL has a new source of traffic on the Dundee. The railroad will soon (or has already begun) to load used roofing shingles into gondola cars for movement to Pennsylvania.