Railroad Forums 

• NYGL update?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1035356  by wolfboy8171981

Please do not call or ask the NYGL when 436 is going to move. These things get back to me.
 #1035361  by Jtgshu

wolfboy8171981 wrote:Please do not call or ask the NYGL when 436 is going to move. These things get back to me.
Wow, what ever happened to sitting trackside and catching something? People (railfans) these days seem to want instant gratification with catching trains....

I can't believe someone actually called the railroad....oh wait, yes I can....
 #1035368  by ccutler

NYGL could see a sustained opportunity here. Sims Metal Management controls much of the scrap traffic through the NY ports. If NYGL can create competition by transloading scrap from trains into containers, and if container rates are low enough, there could be room for some competition.
 #1035371  by wolfboy8171981

Not to mention the little PM button next to my name, where i could let you know whats going on off the public record.... oh well too late now.

Jtgshu wrote:
wolfboy8171981 wrote:Please do not call or ask the NYGL when 436 is going to move. These things get back to me.
Wow, what ever happened to sitting trackside and catching something? People (railfans) these days seem to want instant gratification with catching trains....

I can't believe someone actually called the railroad....oh wait, yes I can....
 #1035556  by Sir Ray

ccutler wrote:NYGL could see a sustained opportunity here. Sims Metal Management controls much of the scrap traffic through the NY ports. If NYGL can create competition by transloading scrap from trains into containers, and if container rates are low enough, there could be room for some competition.
This concept seems a bit inefficent to me - Passiac isn't all that close to Port Newark, 21 sort of peters out as a divided highway by the south end of the Newark branch (whole 'nother thread), then these container trucks get to deal w/ the lovely Downtown Newark local traffic, or they could deviate out of their direct way south by heading South on 21, East on 3, and South on the Turnpike.
Is the destination Port Newark (or Elizabeth, or even Port Jersey?) and aren't there closer locations to transload from? (Heck, even the south end of the Newark Branch would be closer, and its been recently rebuilt in the past few years).
 #1035719  by PVRX1

1267 moved five cars to Passaic today, with about 5 more at the interchange to come down.

Stacks on everything are said to be capped, even though it may not look like it from ground level.
RR is pobably not be appreciative of the speculative to false comments listed on this forum.

436 should be mobile late this week or next.
 #1035723  by ccutler

Sir Ray...
I suspect that one hour's drive from Passaic to Port Newark does not cost so much, and will pale in comparison to the waiting time to get into the Port. But I am really curious about what is happening with the incoming scrap loads.
 #1036797  by dano23

Should be noted that it is technically processed scrap, not large pieces of junk dumped into a gon. The gons all appear to be Iowa Interstate cars.

I didn't drive by the interchange but it appears all 10 cars have been crammed into the property in Passaic.
 #1037487  by NYSW2300

Today might be a good day to drive down Monroe St.
 #1037656  by Steve F45

i was down there around 1pm and the switcher was in by the c&d building. Crew workers were going around the property cleaning up garbage. It was the first time being there and was amazed how much everything is just goind downhill. That erie caboose looks horible, the u34ch has a lot of rust on the side along the building.
 #1037956  by wolfboy8171981

#436 was picked up at interchange today around 12:30 by the NS local.
 #1038305  by Sid Farkus

wolfboy8171981 wrote:#436 was picked up at interchange today around 12:30 by the NS local.
I noticed that 436 has "PVRX" reporting marks now. Anyone have any information about that?
 #1038314  by Ken W2KB

Sid Farkus wrote:
wolfboy8171981 wrote:#436 was picked up at interchange today around 12:30 by the NS local.
I noticed that 436 has "PVRX" reporting marks now. Anyone have any information about that?
If you scroll up a few posts in this thread you will see a post by PVRX1. Jim is the current president of the Black River Railroad Historical Trust and owns the PVRX mark.