Railroad Forums 

• NYGL Erie E8 plus pax cars to Bingo 10/31

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#461825  by Otto Vondrak

From the ELHS List: NYGL Erie E8 833 plus four passenger cars will depart Port Jervis on Weds. around 11:30 and deadhead to Binghamton. This is for eventual movement to Scranton to take part in Lackawanna Railfest. If my calculations are correct, this means you should be able to get a shot of an Erie E8- under its own power- leading a train over Starucca Viaduct in daylight!

Have at it! And be safe...

-otto-

#462537  by Erie-Lackawanna

Hope they had their flash setups ready if they did...the train didn't get out of PO until almost 4:00. :(

Jim

#462607  by Steve F45

thats to bad. I was hoping to see some nice black and white photos of the movement to kind of give it a feel of what it might have looked like decades ago.

#462612  by GOLDEN-ARM

Hey Steve, not sure, but I would imagine that even decades ago, everything was in color........ :P (I know whacha meant!!! :wink: )

#462725  by grumpyoldman

We just have to try to find out when its coming back home to PJ.

John

#462726  by Otto Vondrak

Yeah it turns out the crew had two hours of switching to complete at Port Jervis just to get the train ready to head west, then there were some equipment issues that took a little while to solve... they didn't get out of town until 4:00- which is too bad. Maybe Mill Rift trestle would have been lit. Oh well, maybe there will be some shots to be had on the return trip!

-otto-

#462778  by cjvrr

Otto Vondrak wrote: Maybe Mill Rift trestle would have been lit. Oh well, maybe there will be some shots to be had on the return trip!

-otto-
Nope, the light left the trestle about 10 minutes before train time. My father took some photos of it crossing the bridge and then bailed out of chasing. From experience that late in the day the sun is no good until you get to the bridge at Lack-of-action so there really was no sense going west. He left Mill Rift for home.

My father got up to Port around 11am and the NY&GL crew was busy working on one of the passenger cars with saws and hammers. They were still working on it up till about 2pm.

#463284  by Tadman

Dunno, but it makes you appreciate how much better N&W's maroon rolling stock looked with a thin stripe or two.

#463381  by Erie-Lackawanna

Tri-State Tom wrote:When did NYGL acquire and paint these 2 maroon coaches ?

Anyone know their heritage ?
I'm not sure when they came on the property, but they came from the Owego & Harford.

Jim
 #463427  by H.F.Malone

One of them is a CNR diner; the other is a coach, possibly CNR also.

#463738  by njmidland

The diner is ex-CNW, the table car is ex-IC.

#464127  by GN 599

Thats one fine looking E unit.