Railroad Forums 

• NYC Business Car 20 - "Hiram"

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#299946  by erie2937

Hiram was NYC 20. Before that it was owned and operated by Pullman and carried the name Mount Desert. It was built in 1923 by Pullman. It's Pullman lot number is 4816. Pullman plan number is/was 3521. NYC lot number was 2228. It is a sister car of NYC 19 which was the Mount Hood. NYC 19 went first to C.V. Whitney who operated it as Wanderer and then to NdeM where it was numbered 3522. It's fate in the land of the taco is unknown to me.

#300371  by PRRGuy

http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/NYC-MODELS-PASS.htm

this site says It left the NYC in 1966 to private ownership and eventually made to the CSS&SB at some point in the 80's..leased to them I believe. Also, I'm pretty sure that the car left the South Shore within a year or two after it's 1989 bankruptsy, which then it traveled to the TP&W. The last known photo I have of the "Hiram" the one above dated 1995.
 #1428098  by trainbrain27

http://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com/detail.asp?id=1446" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Built in 1923 as a 10 section/observation lounge by Pullman and named Mt. Desert. Operated in general pool service until sold to the New York Central Railroad, after extensive rebuilding the car was outshopped as business car #20 with four staterooms (1948) in NYC Lot #2228, then to PC #3, old 1966 to Buzz Norton* and named Hiram, under lease to CSS&SB with Amtrak #800127. Sold in 1995 to Toledo, Peoria & Western, now stored at Gateway in Madison, Illinois (near St. Louis)

* Richard "Buzz" Norton is involved with the last private commuter car in the nation, I wonder if Hiram served that purpose at some point.

I hope business picks up and Gateway can get more of their stock out on the rails.
 #1428165  by John_Perkowski

Considering the RBB&B auction, and considering the possible loss of Amtrak LD subsidy by the Trump Administration, the fate of too many of these cars will be the scrap line.