Railroad Forums 

• Nyack Branch passenger connection

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#507251  by russp

Some time ago, I recall reading something about the Nyack Branch passenger trains having to do a back up move to reach the tracks leading to the DL&W / future E-L station in Hoboken. This probably started when the Erie shifted its trains from its Jersey City terminal to Hoboken. Does anyone know the route of this back up move ? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

#507293  by pumpers

Over the last few years I remember at least 2 threads I think on NJ railfan (maybe NJ Transit but I don't think so) where this backup of Erie trains to get to Hoboken was discussed in detail. I did a quick search but didn't find it. Post your question at NJ Railfan and I bet someone comes up with links to the old posts. JS
 #507894  by henry6

Check Taber's and Stauffer's books.

#508424  by pumpers

Found it, at least for the "Northern" erie line. Not sure if
this is the one to Nyack. Not sure if the other Erie lines had to
do this or if they could avoid it by the right connection in Croxton Yard on their way in from out west.
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... e61cb61478
JS

YEs

#508461  by henry6

Yes, it would be the Northern Erie line, the old Northern Railroad of NJ, the only line it could be as all other Erie lines came in on the other side of Coxton yard.

#508575  by HSSRAIL

The backup move occured at a place called Bergen Jct or BR on the South end of Croxton Yard just north of the Lackawanna's truss bridge which was east of West End Interlocking. The Northern Branch Trains coming off the Northern Branch pulled all the way under the DLW Bridge to clear what was left of Bergen Jct than shoved back North to clear for the new connection to the Hoboken Terminal. This started in the fall of 1960 when the Erie decided on complete closure of its Jersey City Terminal. It was a see saw to get to the new connection from the Erie Main Line to the Lackawanna's Boonton Line. Northern Branch trains would have to come off the Northern Branch onto the Erie mainline which was south of the Hoboken connection. If you look at old photo's of BR Tower there was a garden in front of it with the word Croxton spelled out. Many People thus refer to this tower as Croxton Tower but in fact it was BR.

#508754  by CarterB

Were the Northern Branch ever reinstituted for commuter rail, what are/would be the plans for the Hoboken connection?

#508858  by njmidland

Were the Northern Branch ever reinstituted for commuter rail, what are/would be the plans for the Hoboken connection?

All of the plans I have seen are for light rail, either electrical like the Hudson Bergen Line or diesel like South Jersey's River Line. If the diesel option is used then I would assume there will be an across the platform transfer at Tonelle Ave. - or further north if the current electrified line is extend to the Vince Lombardi Park and Ride as initially planned.

#508895  by CarterB

Ahh!! Another "Susquehanna Transfer" operation. I wonder if it would be more successful than the predecessor!!! Let's see....bring back the ACF Motorailers!!

#508985  by pumpers

Not so sure about the Hoboken connection -- the big question seems to be if it will just connect to the Hudson Bergen Light Rail (the new extension to Tonnelle Ave, with which you can get to Hoboken , or actually just be a further extension of the light rail up to Tenafly or so), or if it will be capable of going to NY Penn after the new tunnels and the loop at Secaucus are built, requiring dual mode (electric/diesel) power.
Up to 32 pages or so on this one at the NJT Rail forum.
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14381