Railroad Forums 

• NYA on the east end?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #197675  by Allengheny

I live out on the Montauk branch and It seems like NYA activity is slim to none. I know that Eastport Feeds in Eastport (Just outside of Speonk) is switched during the Spring almost once or at times twice a week, but I can never catch this elulsive turn?

Anyone have any idea when the groan of Geeps could be heard out east?

#197897  by mainline

Unsure of schedule. Track work on the Montauk has just ended. RS 70 on Sunday was traveling to Pulver Gas at BH. With the tWU strike the 70 might be still going to BH on Sunday's.

#198137  by phantom

Was setup to go to Eport today. No go with the LIRR.

#198174  by Fla East Coast Chris

Oh Boy,
Cannot wait to see Smoochie again!!!
Better Yet I like to see Smudge Face(Wonder Bread man) and the McDonalds engineer!!!!
I understand crews groan when they don't have a certain block operator at PD. If he isn't galavanting to a warmer climate south!!!
Chris
 #1117880  by Teutobergerwald

Saw on the LIRR forum, in the Harold Protects topic, that Pulver Gas had to have propane trucked in because the NYA doesn't want to serve them anymore. Anybody know anymore about this?
 #1117900  by jayrmli

Probably for the same reason they do not ship lumber to Southold anymore. The cost of running a freight all the way out there to just serve one customer is not profitable enough. (Although the delivery of hazmats is more lucrative than lumber.) They were probably told if they wanted deliveries, the cost to deliver to them would be higher, and they went to trucks instead.
 #1118232  by mainline

In the good old days the NYA was busier and had a couple more customers in this area. Fuel was cheaper and the loss of Best Lumber at Speonk yard started the decline. Best Lumber was kicked out of Speonk Yard by the LIRR. They were not happy with them leaving all their garbage in the yard. They went belly up years later. Eastport feed went to trucks for a couple of years. Charges killed them and they returned to rail. No loyalty there. Now with 84 lumber gone in Islip .Velvetop could be a casualty later on. So why would the NYA go to BH to serve one customer? Enjoyed many a cab ride. Going to BH in the snow was a nice trip. At startup I enjoyed the many chases and to know when they were coming was a plus. Lets look at the Northport runaround. At startup MWF's. They were trying to increase traffic and lure new customers. Gaylord Bag was a decent customer but they moved out of Huntington. Not that much traffic but they always ran the train. Nassau Suffolk was still getting a good amount of cars per week. Kleet Lumber was always getting cars. With all the Lowes and Home Depots on LI this killed a lot of the lumber traffic. Southold for Penny/Thurber Lumber was also a long trip. They were bought out by Marjam I was told. A couple of cab rides out there. Long move for one customer. Its been great taking pictures for years on these lines the NYA served. Made a lot of friends along the way. Many have left for greener pastures. Quite honestly haven't seen a daytime freight in awhile in Suffolk. I ran into the RS40 recently at Wellwood siding and they told me they are there every day about the same time daily. Was in the area twice after that and no RS40. So operations change all the time. Not sure if they have enough crews. Bring back the RS70!!!! Nothing to report. Rant out. Hello Jay.
 #1118373  by jayrmli

Hello Bill! Good to see you post on here again!

A couple of notes on your "rant"...Gaylord Bag wasn't serviced by NYAR. The siding and property was taken over by American Tissue. The company subsequently went bankrupt and that was it for servicing them. Another high-traffic customer (especially around this time of year) on the Port Jeff was Premier Wine & Spirits, also known as Gallo Wine. They consolidated their freight operations and began taking their cars in Jersey.

Aside from Home Depot and Lowes, the building industry has slumped tremendously in the region over the past couple of years. Even on the Main Line, lumber customers that were switched daily when I worked there rarely get a switch anymore.
 #1118404  by Sir Ray

jayrmli wrote:Aside from Home Depot and Lowes
So the question is, where is the Home Depot and Lowes Distribution centers for Long Island (individual stores don't get rail freight service, but distribution centers could)? Is the Long Island market too small to make a distribution center in the area not worth it?
On searching, I see via their website that Home Depot only has 70 or so distribution centers across the US, apparently the closest one is Cranbury NJ? That could explain why whenever I go to a local Long Island Home Depot it's a big crapshoot as to whether they will have the items I want or not (usually not).
 #1118447  by jayrmli

While you never can say never, the chance of getting a company like that to commit to a distribution center on LI is very slim. From Cranbury, they can most likely get a much better rail freight rate. It may be a pain to truck the stuff from there, but in many cases the rates are cheaper than an "indirect" direct rail route to Long Island.
 #1119071  by mainline

I had to review their site closure when Gaylord moved out. Nice indoor track for offloading. Reminded me of Southern Container. Jay remember the water tower? The Environmental consultants were shocked that the recharge basin was contaminated with lead. Well told them to look up at the tower. They still didn't get. Water tower-sandblasting-lead paint. Here's another disaster-Calverton. I think the NYA is happy they don't have to deal with it. Metro filed for bankruptcy - reorganization. Eastern Fence still gets cars at Hicksville? The NYA might just say we will deliver your cars to BRT.
 #1119141  by railfan365

This has me wondering - just how much business does NYA have presently? Are they in danger of disappearing at the end of their lease term?
 #1119961  by jayrmli

Yes, I know about Metro filing for bankruptcy. Their website says business will continue as is during the reorganization, however whether it means they will get cars in Calverton is still unknown. Apparently there is some issue with them using the holding talks for the biofuel.

There is also an issue as to whether there will be a need for them once Ultragreen starts re-shipping to Brookhaven.

Eastern Fence is another story which I can't talk about...time will tell...
 #1120455  by DogBert

railfan365 wrote:This has me wondering - just how much business does NYA have presently? Are they in danger of disappearing at the end of their lease term?
More than enough. MSW & CD are probably half of the business, and at least in the case of MSW, that is never, ever going to stop flowing.