Railroad Forums 

• NYA derailment-Hicksville/Bethpage

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #691354  by Amtrak7

There has been an NYAR derailment between Hicksville and Bethpage. This is particularly interesting to me, since this is the closest stretch of LIRR to my hometown. 1010WINS says near Old Country Rd, but that's closer to Hicksville than Bethpage. Will update with any news and 'apologies'.

MTA Long Island Rail Road
Service Alert

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 3:45 PM

Ronkonkoma Branch Customers:

Due to a New York & Atlantic Railway freight train derailment near Bethpage earlier today, Ronkonkoma Branch customers should anticipate 10-to-15 minute delays in both directions east of Hicksville during the evening rush hour. As a result of the freight derailment, the LIRR has the use of only one of the two tracks between Hicksville and Bethpage.
 #691408  by RogerOverOutRR

Passed the site going home on the train today around 1:15pm. For those familiar with the area, it happened at the Hooker Chemical switch which is just east of the New South Road crossing. When I passed on the train, I had no idea the train was on the ground. Train had 2 engines on the west end, about 20 cars, and 1 or 2 cars were still hanging over the New South Road crossing.
 #691438  by geico

Anthony RMLI wrote:It seems to me it is becoming a challange for New York & Atlantic to stay on the tracks.....2nd KO derailment this year LOL

Anthony
And the Pineaire DEF (well SEF now) still hasnt been fixed yet. The car from the derail I believe is still sitting there. Why so long to put the switch back in order? Or is this held up so the LIRR and NYAR can blame each other and its in the hands of the lawyers?

Went through the scene at a little before 6 tonight. Only thing I saw was 2 MP15s hooked to one freight car on the normal westbound track and a ton of LIRR and MTA Police trucks at the New South Rd crossing.
 #691463  by SwingMan

I got to the seen around 5ish, and by this point MP15s 154-161 were there slowly picking out the leftovers. I was told the incident was caused by the rails splitting.

lirr415-Peter
 #691762  by Port Jervis

Anthony RMLI wrote:It seems to me it is becoming a challange for New York & Atlantic to stay on the tracks.....2nd KO derailment this year LOL

Anthony
Which brings the question: who is responsible for maintaining a siding serving a particular customer? The customer or the railroad?
 #691788  by SwingMan

Port Jervis wrote:

Anthony
Which brings the question: who is responsible for maintaining a siding serving a particular customer? The customer or the railroad?
Well they were apparently cleaning the sight up (it used to be a chemical company), but since they aren't around anymore the siding is not being kept by anyone.

lirr415-Peter
 #706827  by Dump The Air

lirr415 wrote:
Port Jervis wrote:

Anthony
Well they were apparently cleaning the sight up (it used to be a chemical company), but since they aren't around anymore the siding is not being kept by anyone.

lirr415-Peter
The dirty-dirt people shelled out money to RRC to rehab and extend the siding, not NYA.