Railroad Forums 

• NYA customers from Babylon to Montauk

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #440366  by Spartan Phalanx

What customers does NYA have on the Montauk Branch from Babylon to Montauk? How often are they serviced, and how many cars do they get on average? In another topic, someone asked why NYA trains on the Montauk Branch were short. Answers to the questions posed above could shed some light....

#440511  by Dump The Air

Off the top of my head:

Islip:

84 Lumber
Team track

Eastport:

Eastport Feeds
Davis Fuel (They get loads of corn syrup spotted on the lead track to Eastport Feeds)

Bridgehampton:

Pulver Gas
Team Track

I could (And probably am) missing a few.

#440722  by Spartan Phalanx

Thanks! Keep up the good work on fleshing out the customers on this line.
 #440784  by SwitchMonkey

Dont forget the stray Commerical Lumber in Sayville DEF .. We have to bust rust there maybe once or twice a year.

Other than that ... <<insert>>

FYI, Pulver gas' 5 car switch is the only thing that keep that branch alive. If they shipped by truck, you could probably kiss the montauk branch goodbye.

#440793  by RPM2Night

How many customers do they have on the mainline and Port Jefferson lines?
 #440798  by freightguy

There is a myriad of costumers on the the mainline. I don't think the mountain division has as many! I don't work there so please take these answers with a "grain of salt!"

#440807  by mutz155

MYRIAD? WOW! (TO FREIGHTGUY WITH LOVE)
 #440830  by SwitchMonkey

Due to management's decision to strictly adhere to S.I. 1160-B, the Mountain division just got effectively disbanded effective 09/01/2007. The LIRR imposed weight limit of 210,000 lbs east of Greenlawn (which was really made to protect all those bridges and crossings when the rails were made of silly putty) is **NOW** being observed. This means no Centerbeam flats. As the Mighty RS-30 turns at Duke for the run west on Huntington, and as that is east of the afformentioned station, this essentially puts the kabosh on the PTJ.

OF course, we'll ignore the fact that those big DE/DM monsters weigh almost 300,000 lbs, **and** you can go push/pull, **or** you can turn at Greenlawn D.E.F. (if Paul Bunyan knocks down a few trees in the middle of the ROW).

I'm sure that Shinier orbs than my own have contemplated this and have decided to keep it all to themselves in the sake of preserving the numbers and the sacred cost/benefit analysis.
 #441137  by freightguy

I don't know, I think the Pennsy and LIRR hogs clocked in at more lbs. The LIRR trackage is built to last with more capital projects on the way hopefully!

#441262  by Scrap em Again

Coach, you have no idea how crappy the track got between Queens and Divide, sometimes I feel that running freight at 45 is a bit fast for that stretch. Alot of track in the mud in Mineola, Carle Place and Westbury, it really tosses you around, and between Nassau Br 1 & Br 2, the high speed crossovers they rebuilt in 2000 are already totally shot!! The track gangs are in that location everyday tinkering around, but it is not really helping much. Just pull the track out, redo the sub-roadbed, reinstall, problem solved. Wishful thinking on my part of course. :-D

#441329  by jayrmli

OF course, we'll ignore the fact that those big DE/DM monsters weigh almost 300,000 lbs
If you read the rulebook it clearly states the weight limit does not apply to engines.

This is because they are trying to prevent a string of excess weight cars going over the bridge at the same time. You're not going to see a string of DM30's going over the bridges at the same time.

NYAR was told years ago that they could move 286,000 lb cars, but the cars would have to be spaced. They chose not to do it.
management's decision to strictly adhere to S.I. 1160-B
I would sure hope so. I didn't know the rules were optional.

Jay

#456848  by Spartan Phalanx

Saw two MP-15ac's, one on each end, E/B through Rosedale this morning around 1030 with some covered hoppers and boxcars. I think I caught the same units coming back W/B through Queens Village in the afternoon with a longer consist, including an old-school Soo Line boxcar in the white with large black letters and a faded red door.

I also saw a pair of GP38-2's running light E/B through Jamaica today as well.
 #456978  by freightguy

The car you saw Soo, was probably for Intercounty Bakers on the Central Branch. It could of also been for D. Rosen bakers on the Bushwick. It might come through CP from Minnesota. Where the engines in push-pull mode, bad for eng. good for crew, early quit? Remember always to try to have power up front in case one breaks down during LIRR rush hour!

#457623  by Spartan Phalanx

Islip, Sayville or Eastport get serviced lately?