Railroad Forums 

• NYA 156 leaves for rebuild?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1258518  by emfinite

First off, I had heard through the grape vine that NYAR purchased the 156 outright from LIRR for an undisclosed amount. Wanted to see if this was true or not.

Second, I was forwarded a picture of the 156 going through Oak Point this morning coupled behind CSX engines. I heard a few months ago this engine was going out for rebuild to tier 2 compliance. Any truth to these rumors? And my guess is it would be headed to Altoona.

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 9720_n.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1258684  by gregorygrice

emfinite wrote:First off, I had heard through the grape vine that NYAR purchased the 156 outright from LIRR for an undisclosed amount. Wanted to see if this was true or not.

Second, I was forwarded a picture of the 156 going through Oak Point this morning coupled behind CSX engines. I heard a few months ago this engine was going out for rebuild to tier 2 compliance. Any truth to these rumors? And my guess is it would be headed to Altoona.

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 9720_n.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'll look out for it on CSX tonight. So far it isn't on Q704, so that leaves Q430.
 #1258734  by freightguy

Emfinite,

It's supposed to head to Juniata(Altoona) for rebuild. I was suprised it didn't go out via NYNJ/NS? Some may argue with me but it was a really good puller and was the last MP15 to stay in the original LIRR scheme before being painted into NYA colors.
 #1258804  by Uncle Cheapo

Yes NYA purchased it, it is going for a new crankshaft, and tier compliance. NYNJ will not handle any foreign engines anymore since they got stuck with the Sills road engine. CSX will handle it to Oak Island, NS will take it from there.
 #1258836  by emfinite

It's nice to see the Company finally making investments into locomotives (and finally buying one) after 17 years of existence. Thanks for the info fellas.
 #1259714  by railfan365

Does anyone have an idea to how long it should take for 156 to come back with the work done?

Also, with regard to how poorly the LIRR paint jobs on the MP15' have been holding up - why is it that that's at the same time that NYA's paint jobs have been lasting quite well?s