Railroad Forums 

• NY & GL files feeder line application!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#84432  by The Rising

Well, its official.

FD 34649 was filed today with the STB.

Another NJ shortline battle with the NS. Boy it didn't take them long at all to get right on this one.

Way to go Jimmy! :wink:

I'd buy you a drink, however I think the NS will need one more! :-D

#85812  by The Rising

A long shot indeed! :wink:

However, those odds have never stopped Mr. Wilson before.

One must remember that many thought he was being foolish on the first piece of track he acquired.

I think however, he may have something here.

I put forth some pure speculation here for others to comment on. :wink:

Mr. Bowen, from the NJ-ARP, stated he thought NJT had the right of first refusal to buy the line from NS.

Unlike other properties that were conveyed to NJT by the Rail Passenger Services act of 1982, this line is still owned by NS (formerly Conrail).

Suppose, for this discussion, Mr. Wilson is successful in his feeder line application.

NS would be forced to sell the line to him by the STB.

If NJT wanted that line for some future transit project, they would have to buy it now from Jim Wilson.

I believe that NJT would rather find whatever money they need to buy the line now, rather than have to buy it later from the "guy in the bunny suit!" :-D

Either way, I believe the NS has not one, but rather two offers they can now consider.

Plus, NJT may decide to bid up the price, just because its Mr. Wilson and they just "love him to death" :wink: (death being the operative word here.)

Which ever way you want to look at this, this will be interesting.

Meghan, since your Grandfather just loves the M&E :wink: , I put forth this bit of speculation. (And yes, it is pure speculation, designed to be thought provoking, not just provoking :-D )

Suppose NJT, fearing a NY&GL effort to buy the line, decides to buy the line to thwart Mr. Wilson's effort, then chooses to name a shortline operator for the line (Say, the M&E, who, by the way, still has its limited operating rights over the property.) They might even provide a subsidy to the operator, plus rehabilition funds!

As I said before, I believe this will get very interesting.

I wish I could figure out how the poll threads work on this site, it could help determine the odds better on that bet :wink:

By the way, FYI, I heard through the grapevine that M&E sales and marketing people were down in Newark recently to indentify potential customers.

I wonder where they were and what they must be thinking. :-D

See ya all later!
Last edited by The Rising on Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#85837  by Sir Ray

The Rising wrote:A long shot indeed! :wink:
By the way, FYI, I heard through the grapevine that M&E sales and marketing people were down in Newark recently to indentify potential customers.
I wonder where they were and what they must be thinking.
A video presentation showing the techniques and mindsets of railroads that do it right (get and keep business, on lines given up for dead, via marketing and customer service - M & E, Raritan Central, Reading & Northern, and so on) must be created - then make other North American railroads' CEOs watch this presentation ala "Clockwork Orange" - repeated showings while they're strapped in a chair and eyes forced open (of course, applying positive 'feedback' instead of the negative 'feedback' given to Alex in the movie, as this is behaviour we want them to emulate...)

#85885  by Jtgshu

The rising...

You made some very good points, and if Jimmy Wilson could snap up the line for a bargain basement price, and then sell it to NJT later on, that would be pure irony.

However, I doubt that NJT would be that stupid to let that happen.....(not that it would surprise me entirely either, however...)

As I stated in another thread, as I understand it, the lower boonton line, east of DB and the NEC is slated to become part of the "loop" for the direct service to NYP, and someone told me that the little stub track at Lack interlocking, where the protect motor gets parked sometimes is the actual track and connection that would connect with the loop if it were ever built.

So if NJT were ever to build this hairbrained loop, they would need this track, and I think they already know that this piece of abandoned railroad is a very significant part of the loop, and that htey should not let it slip between their fingers, to Jimmy Wilson nevertheless!!!!

#85925  by Dougster

Just suppose:

Mr. Wilson manages to get the Boonton Line, the east end of the Newark Branch in Kearny/Harrison would probably go along with it. Since NJT owns the Kingland Connetor, he could get freight rights and serve the 3 current customers and line (both ends) and access the Newark Branch with a connector where the 2 lines cross in Kearny. There is only very potential customer (SparTec) already on the line. A plastics company in Kearny had expressed interest in rail service back in Conrail days but was discouraged. They are still there. There is (was) a strip steel company in Kearny that expressed interest a few years ago but I don't know if they are still in business. This cross section of lines may have something of value to a aggressive short line operator. NS doesn't seem interested. There is already a small 3 track yard at the south end of the Kingsland Connector in Harrison. Just a thought.

Doug

#85933  by metman499

But I doubt that NS/NJT would let NY&GL use the yard. It still sees service one to two times a week on local H-84. Also there was a rumor that NS wanted to put back the Kingsland connector so that they could use the wye and be able to serve Harrison without having to go over NJT as much as they do now to get to Supor and MAVS.

#85937  by njt4172

The Rising,

Is there anyway you can link us to the application??

Thanks in advance,
Steve

#85962  by NY&LB

The "Kingsland Connector" , if that's the line from Harrison to Kingsland, would need LOTS of work to be put back in service and the gravel company that has put 100 foot high piles of dirt on the track (just north of rt 7) would have to be made to cease their encroachment on the ROW. The current rail and ties were put down in 1926 and use DL&W "screw spikes" which are kind of interesting in themselves, they have DLW embossed on their heads although rust has taken it's toll on the lettering. Complete re-ballasting, tie and rail replacement would be needed.

#86024  by njt4172

GO JIMMY GO!!!!!! :-D

#86056  by gravelyfan

NY&LB wrote:The "Kingsland Connector" , if that's the line from Harrison to Kingsland, would need LOTS of work to be put back in service and the gravel company that has put 100 foot high piles of dirt on the track (just north of rt 7) would have to be made to cease their encroachment on the ROW.
The "Gravel Company" - Is that Bedrock Stone in Kearny? They are located along Bergen Avenue, which passes under the H-K line. This is quite a bit south of Route 7.

I was up that way over the summer and those piles had been removed from the right of way - perhaps NJT had contacted the stone company about the encroachment.

#86160  by NY&LB

Yea, you are correct, now that I think about it, it is south of rt 7, it's been a while since I've been up that way but the piles were VERY high and covered the ROW. Still, will be a significant effort to return the ROW to service.

#86200  by Ken W2KB

PSE&G has a problem from time to time with trespassing contractors piling up excavated dirt on its transmission rights of way. Inluding getting high up near the lower part of the catenary between towers, a real safety hazard. Sometimes needs a court complaint to get it removed.

#86350  by njt4172

Thanks..........It mentions in the STB document that he still wishes to reinstate passenger service.....lol

Steve

#86928  by njt4172

GME,

Wow, that is quite a mouthful! I'm glad you would like to see Jimmy Wilson succeed as I would as well. But, why does it seem like you hold a grudge against the management over at M&E?? Could you explain to me and list what they are doing wrong or what they could do better?

Thanks,
Steve